Dog fights on the History channel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time for a wee email to History Channel, asking what the f*ck Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men have to do wit history????:twisted: :rolleyes:

I agree with ya'. Wish I had a stitch of confidence that it would work. Corporations don't care about anything but the bottom line and the stock price. If she can get eyes on the tube putting Ice Road Truckers on the lineup, she'll do it.

Probably cheaper to produce anyway.

I doubt it's cheaper. In Ice Road Truckers you have to send a camera crew and all up north. In Dogfights, invite a few historians and pilots and the rest is done on computers.

I doubt it's cheaper. In Ice Road Truckers you have to send a camera crew and all up north. In Dogfights, invite a few historians and pilots and the rest is done on computers.

man, i dont know if you guys like, but i think this show of the ice trukers is totally useless. worst shof of documentary channels ever !

about dogfights i just think these historians they call are not that good and the show dont tell the war stories of both sides. that episode about "the death of luftwaffe" was R I D I C U L O U S ! since that day i dont watch that show anymore. too much biased, as you guys like to say...

from HC i liked that documentary "battlefield" from 96 or 97... why dont they just reprise that ? was awsome !

Aparently that is the worst episode in terms of baias, there have been a couple previous complaints about that particular one on here. However I can't speak specifically about it sisnce I haven't seen it. (I've seen all but a couple episodes and, while there is some bias shown in some circumsatances, on the whole most of the episodes are prette decent in this respect)

I only wach the dogfights show because of the cool animation. There is just to much baias involved. Often times after I wach a episode I have to go pacing around fuming at the historical atrocitys they comit without any signes of remorse. They once stated that the p-61 was the only night fighter designed from the ground up. that is not true look at the hienkal he 219. They even say that a p-47 as supirior firepower to the fw 190 a-8 and that a p-38 can out turn a me 109. I think that these facts are blanch lies but I would like to know what the rest of the war bird comunity has tosay about these subjects.

Some of those facts are debatable, it would depend on the circumstances. (iirc in the case of the P-38, the pilot had said the thing about the turning ability, this was with the early J model iirc)

I thought the P-61 thing was on a Discovery channel doccumentery, not the history channel.

In any case, probably the 2 mos capable nightfighters of the war were not designed as such, the Mossie and the Ju 88. (they were, however, both designed as fast bombers)

I tend to not put a lot of attention toward most of the technical/performance stuff they go into, the strenths/advantages that are listed (in the side-by-side comparison) are often incomplete, as are the explanations. (sometimes the historians/comentary/pilots get cut-off too early and part of the explanation is lost)

I ljust like haveing the stories told and the pilots interviews, The graphics are good sometimes, but they're also wrong sometimes too.

How so? Do you mean all the LW aircraft? Or do you mean that for a given enemy (German, Japanese, N.Korean, N.Vietnamese, and those of the several episoded dealing in the middle east) all the a/c shown from that country have the same paint scheme?

Personally I haven't noticed either of these cases, the paint shemes may be a bit off, or completly wrong in some circumstances. They all seem to vary somewhat, at the very least between a/c types and between episodes.

Some of those facts are debatable, it would depend on the circumstances. (iirc in the case of the P-38, the pilot had said the thing about the turning ability, this was with the early J model iirc)

It doesn't matter which P-38 model it was cause no P-38 model could outturn any Bf-109 or Fw-190. The single seat fighters are simply vastly lighter compared to their available lift thrust.

Even if we compare a Bf 109G-6 with a low/medium altitude rated engine to a P-38J at 25-30,000 ft?

Anyway, the P-38 was a single seat fighter, albeit not a single engined one. ;)

Even if we compare a Bf 109G-6 with a low/medium altitude rated engine to a P-38J at 25-30,000 ft?

Well it depends on the difference in power to weight ratio then, and the P-38J better have a huge advantage in this area if it wants to fight in the horizontal with the Bf-109 at any altitude.

Anyway, the P-38 was a single seat fighter, albeit not a single engined one. ;)

Whoops! My mistake, I meant single engined fighters ofcourse :)

For some reason that seems to be a fairly common mistake with the P-38 (and occasionally with other single-seat twins). In several articles on such a/c I see statements like "it could hold it's own with single seat fighters" or "a twin engine design that would have the performance of a single seat fighter."

With the paint schemes it seams that they have a standard color for the enemy plane of one type or another and all of them have the same paint. I have seen the same paint skeem on fw 190 on almost all episodes and same thing with the mig 15, 19, 21. me 109 always have the same paint schemes when atacking bombers and only rarly have alterrations and I have never senn to me 262 painted diferently.

With the p-38 it couldent hold its own against a single engene fighter in a turning fight because its engenes produced to much drag during a turn and would cause spin outs if the piolt turned to tightly. With the push pull twin engen configuration[like the do 335] it has a centure even line of weight wich reduces drang and increuses role. You can emagine an egene on each wing would have the oppisite affect.

If I recall correctly, most allied aircraft on the show also all share the same paint scheme except sometimes the specific plane they're talking about, which makes sense to since that's the star. As for the Black Widow being the "only" one built from the ground up, they could just be talking about only allied aircraft.

I'm not saying the show doesn't have a biased or is always accurate, just some of the things you described can be easily explained.

Its a fu*kin AMERICAN show, for American viewers... Americans, in general, wanna see a show about American fighters and pilots, and how Americans won the War...... Of course its gonna be biased....

As for the incorrect info, paint schemes etc etc, I dont pay that much attention to that, as the show is for entertainment, not educational lessons...

Compalin all u want to, when this show is cancelled, ur gonna bitch that its gone, so enjoy it and the re-runs while they last fellas...

Its a fu*kin AMERICAN show, for American viewers... Americans, in general, wanna see a show about American fighters and pilots, and how Americans won the War...... Of course its gonna be biased....

As for the incorrect info, paint schemes etc etc, I dont pay that much attention to that, as the show is for entertainment, not educational lessons...

Compalin all u want to, when this show is cancelled, ur gonna bitch that its gone, so enjoy it and the re-runs while they last fellas...

thats why the show will be cancelled, because its a fo*kng american show, not a good one ! i really do prefer watch the "ancient technologies" for the 10000000th time that watch a show wheres people dont know the diference between flaps and ailerons. and im not pilot ! geeeeeezzzusss !

i wont gonna bitch thats gone, i dont watch that anymore since i realized its not good. and many people did the same, thats why the show will be canceled.

american choppers is an american show too, mithbusters are also a american show, dirty jobs...etc. but they are good, maybe because theyre from discovery ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back