**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've got to thank Wojtek for this. He sent me diagrams of the pitot tube measurements (in 1/24 scale) and also sent me measurements for the placement under the port wing. Hope to get it painted tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• spitpitot.jpg
    spitpitot.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 89
  • pitot tube dimensions.jpg
    pitot tube dimensions.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
No need to be modest my friend, ALOT of us would have been in the shite without your help and expertise! :)

Charles, I am very sorry I missed this build sir. I just spent the last two hours going through it post by post and you have done a magnificent job sir!:notworthy: And the help that was lent was above and beyond as is always the case here. If I may, the exhaust stack stagger may be due to the the fact that they may have used the same head casting on both sides of the engine. Meaning that if on the left side if you start with a intake port at the front of the head it ends at the rear with a exhaust port at the rear. [ xo xo xo xo xo xo ] Now, if the same head is used on the right side you start with a exhaust valve at the front and end with a intake at the rear. [ox ox ox ox ox ox ] And if the heads are aligned evenly with one another on the block you get the stagger. They do this in the automotive world on a regular basis. Hope this clears it up some. I am not sure if they did it this way. Someone with more knowledge than I will have to confirm it. And again, SUPERB WORK SIR!:salute:

Thanks, Aaron, for your possible explanation of the staggered exhaust stacks. I almost always follow the plans to an airplane, as written, and it sometimes gets me into trouble. I guess I should ask more questions. Be that as it may, the exhaust is installed, and getting them off would cause major problems, and they are staggered. Good to see you back into the swing of things.

Charles

If I may, the exhaust stack stagger may be due to the the fact that they may have used the same head casting on both sides of the engine. Meaning that if on the left side if you start with a intake port at the front of the head it ends at the rear with a exhaust port at the rear. [ xo xo xo xo xo xo ] Now, if the same head is used on the right side you start with a exhaust valve at the front and end with a intake at the rear. [ox ox ox ox ox ox ] And if the heads are aligned evenly with one another on the block you get the stagger. They do this in the automotive world on a regular basis.

Cheers Aaron, that is what I was getting at in my post (#400), just didn't understand the workings enough to explain it properly. :)

Ah, now I understand. Yes, the heads would be aligned like that, but the exhaust manifolds/stubs don't appear to be staggered (on the outside), with the manifold flanges presumably aligned with the outlet ports, but the stubs themselves even to each side.

I don't know if or why the exhaust stacks are staggered. I'll leave that up to people who are smarter than I am.

Here's where we are today.... pitot tube is painted and as soon as it's dry, will be installed.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2477.JPG
    DSC_2477.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 74
Hi Lads.... coming down the home stretch (Wayne, take note). Pitot tube installed. I could not put it exactly when it should be, because there was no rib to attach it to. So I put it as close as possible. Now for the antenna wire and FINI !!

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2478.JPG
    DSC_2478.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back