**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Username: ccheese
Name: Charles
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Guillows rubber powered balsa/tissue Spitfire Mk-Vb
Scale: 1/24
Accessories: This kit is a land based Spitfire, but I intend to scratch build floats to make it a Mk-Vb Spitfire Floatplane.

According to the info I have found, Supermarine converted three floatplane Spitfires, one Mk-1,
(W3760) and two Mk-Vb's (EP751 EP754). Another Spitfire was converted in 1944, a Mk-IX serial MJ892, bringing the total number of converted Spitfires to four.

The first three aircraft were shipped to Egypt in 1943 with the intention of covertly operating them out of small Greek islands against German transport aircraft. I have no info to the contrary, but I understand the three float equipped Spit's didn't do too well.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2304.JPG
    DSC_2304.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Cool Charles. I think this is the first balsa kit in a group build. I have a book with some goos info on the float Spits. PM me if you want some scans of it.

Cool Charles. I think this is the first balsa kit in a group build. I have a book with some good info on the float Spits. PM me if you want some scans of it.

I have a good four-view scan, and it just dawned on me, I have to add it up here. Would appreciate any info you have, especially the camo scheme.

Attached is the four-view scan I have of the float equipped Spitfire. What I did was to enlarge the scan until the fuselage in the scan and on my plan were the same size. That should give me all the info I need for scratch-building the floats.

Can't wait til Wayne sees this.......

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2305.jpg
    DSC_2305.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Nice one Charles! I think I should have some photos too - I'll see what I have on the Mk1, but I think most are the MkVs and MkIX.

According to the info I have found, Supermarine converted three floatplane Spitfires, one Mk-1,
(W3760) and two Mk-V's (EP751 EP754). Another Spitfire was converted in 1944, a Mk-IX serial MJ892, bringing the total number of converted Spitfires to four.

Just a correction to that..... according to my references the W3760 was Mk.V like EP751 and EP754 rather. However she could be MK.III as well. The MK.I was of R6722 serial number and had floads form Blackburn Roc plane. Also their mounting wasn't like the pylons of later float Spitfires. These ones were introduced with the W3760. The MK.I wasn't used for any flight test, just its model of 1/7 scale in swimming pool. The almost ready plane was de-converted into a standard fighter machine quickly after the Battle of Norway was finished.

Here you are the probable appearance of the Spitfire R6722...

9_194.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Here you are the W3760 of the initial appearance and then after corrections in 1943. Please notice changings to the air intake under her nose, the fin and attached armament.

FloatplaneMkV.jpg

supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb-floatplane-02.png

supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb-floatplane-01.png

Last edited:
Good stuff Wojtek. All I have are pics and diagrams of the MkV and MkIX, but I think I might also have a scale drawing (probably the MkIX) somewhere, probably in an old modelling magazine.

I think you have convinced me, Wojtek. I think I am going to make this a Mk-Vb Floatplane. This would require some new "tail feathers", and I believe the pylon attachment.... float to wings... like W3760, would be better looking. It's not too late, I'm just working on the fuselage. Should I change the first post ?

Charles

Last edited:
I think you have convinced me, Wojtek. I think I am going to make this a Mk-Vb Floatplane. This would require some new "tail feathers", and I believe the pylon attachment.... float to wings... like W3760, would be better looking. It's not too late, I'm just working on the fuselage. Should I change the first post ?

Charles

I have edited a little bit the tread title. No problem. The entire rest of it is OK.

:thumbright:

And a couple more of images....

watermark.php

SpitFloatplane3.jpg

9_189.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back