**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep... the Spitfire is the Mk.IX MJ892. Please make a focus on these exhaust pipes. Here other shots...

SpitFloatplane.jpg

SpitFloatplane2.jpg

spitfire-9-float.jpg

5357110332_9f89af9593_o.jpg

Thanks, fellas.....

Pic #1 2 Got the fuselage covered, and sprayed it down with water to shrink the tissue. Next step is to give it 3 to 5 coats of 50/50 clear dope/thinner, to seal the pores of the tissue.

Pic #3 4 Started on the rudder and stabilizer. Note that I corrected the leading edge of the rudder, like the Mk-Vb. Tomorrow I hope to cover the tail sections, and spray them with water.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2309.JPG
    DSC_2309.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_2310.JPG
    DSC_2310.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_2311.JPG
    DSC_2311.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_2312.JPG
    DSC_2312.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 78
Have been informed that the shape of my rudder (see post #43) is incorrect. After checking my full size drawing of the Mk-Vb, the shape is incorrect. Oh well, back to the drawing board. That can be easily corrected. Glad it was caught before the rudder was attached.

Edit:

I had to see what it would look like, even with the incorrect rudder. Here's a dry fit of the cowling and the tail assembly. The new rudder is going on the back burner, I have a great idea for floats, and want to get right on them.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2313.JPG
    DSC_2313.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Worked on the wing yesterday, just to get it out of the way. Pic's show the pin down and setting the dihedral.
They won't be covered for awhile, as I have to fabricate supports (tongue and groove) for the pylons.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2314.JPG
    DSC_2314.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_2315.JPG
    DSC_2315.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 87
Great stuff Charles, it's good to see a model being built from the ribs up. Are you going to sheet over the tissue (when shrunk) on wings and fuselage, or just go with the taught and doped tissue?
Looking forward to seeing the final stages, as I've always wanted to do a large-scale balsa model, finished for static display standard - possibly the B-17 or DC3, although it'll have to be a ceiling hanger!

Great stuff Charles, it's good to see a model being built from the ribs up. Are you going to sheet over the tissue (when shrunk) on wings and fuselage, or just go with the taught and doped tissue?

This will just be covered in silkspan, watered down to shrink, then 5-6 coats of 50/50 clear dope/thinner, then a couple of coats of the final paint. This will also be a ceiling hanger, to join the Aeronca floatplane, the FW-190, the BF-109, and the Stuka.

Working on the floats, today....

Charles

Working on one of the floats. Here's a pin-down.

Sure glad my wife works for a printer ! I sent him a drawing and he made me a plan.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2319.JPG
    DSC_2319.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 94
Really moving along swiftly Charles, and looking good. Looks like you won't need those scale drawings I still can't find !!

Really moving along swiftly Charles, and looking good. Looks like you won't need those scale drawings I still can't find !!

Thanks guys.... Check out my second post, Terry. I have a four view of the Mk-Vb, and had them blown up so the fuselage in the four-view was the same size as the fuselage in the kit's plans. To my surprise, it's all working out nicely.

Charles

Man this is taking me back nearly 60 years.................. who said that?????
Can't remember the last stick and paper plane I built. Makes me want to do one.
In my next life I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back