**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok you guys, you have convinced me. I am going to convert the Mk-1 Spitfire (land based) kit to the Mk-Vb Float plane, similar to the EP751. I especially like the cut of the rudder and pylons.

Here's where we are today, the fuselage is finished, next move is to cover it with tissue. I took a pic of the pin-down of the fuselage side, but the camera strap covered half the lens screwing things up.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2306.JPG
    DSC_2306.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 113
Great start Charles. I'm still looking for those scale drawings, which might help with the floats.

Thanks, Wojtek. I already have that pic, somewhat enlarged, hanging over my modelling table (in the garage).

Worked on the fuselage, last night and this morning. It has to have at least three coats of clear dope, to seal the pores
in the balsa, before you can cover it. Got the upper half of the fuselage covered, and have to quit for the day. SWMBO
has other priority's. Here's where we are today.

After it's covered it get sprayed down with water to shrink the tissue, then it gets 3 to 5 coats of 50/50 clear dope/thinner to seal the pores in the tissue.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2307.JPG
    DSC_2307.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_2308.JPG
    DSC_2308.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Good stuff Charles, and brings back memories of shrinking and doping tissue - seems like a lifetime ago !

So that's why mine never looked right!
Ya learn sumptin' new every day!
The Mk V looks much cooler, kinda like it has big shoes, rather than floats tacked on,...
just sayin'

Working on getting the fuselage completely covered, today. If I manage, I'll put up pic's this evening. Then we'll start the tail feathers, while we coat the fuselage with a 50/50 mix of clear dope/thinner.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back