**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spent the morning drilling a 1/2" hole in the balsa block I am going to use for nose-blocks on the floats, then super-gluing 10g of BB's into the hole. Don't want to get caught flat-footed like I did with the Rufe. Once the nose-blocks are shaped, you can't drill them. Got both blocks drilled and filled, and one block glued on. Just finished putting the last of the stringers on the other float. While the nose blocks are drying I am going to re-design the rudder and the pectral fin.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2323.JPG
    DSC_2323.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_2324.JPG
    DSC_2324.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I've no idea why I couldn't locate this yesterday, but here it is. Sorry if it's a bit big, but I couldn't drag it into 'Irfanview' to re-size.

Attachments

• Spit float.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
I've no idea why I couldn't locate this yesterday, but here it is. Sorry if it's a bit big, but I couldn't drag it into 'Irfanview' to re-size.

Thanks, Terry. Have downloaded it into my computer and will convert it to jpg. Do you want me to email you a copy in .jpg ?
Here's how it looks as a jpg (and cropped).

Charles

Attachments

• Spit float.jpg
    Spit float.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Hope it proves useful, and it's OK, I have the full book on my PC.
BTW, the colours are Extra Dark Sea Grey, Sea Grey and Sky. The 'Extra Dark', although a grey, has a distinct green tinge, and is sometimes referred to as 'Slate Grey'.

Got several things going at once. Glueing the blocks to the nose, and carving props. First pic is what Guillows sends with their kits. Second pic is a prop I made last night (that I didn't like) and the third pic is on the left is last night's prop with the two I carved today. These two will be used to make a four bladed prop. Probably start carving the nose blocks tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2369.jpg
    DSC_2369.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_2370.JPG
    DSC_2370.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2371.JPG
    DSC_2371.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 89
Lots of good stuff going on here Charles, certainly love you're props and to see how nicely you make this balsa birds come alive, makes me wonder why am I fiddling with bits of plastic and wire. Just love it.

Hi Lads:

Had a bit of an accident, this morning, while shaping the nose-blocks of the float. Something slipped and I managed to lacerate my left thumb. I have a gash about an inch long on the inside edge of the thumb. Me and the missus spent several hours at "Now Care" which is an emergency room kinda thing, except it's not at a hospital. The doc told me I did it right, a nice surgical incision, that didn't hit anything important. He didn't see the need for sutures, just cleaned it up, put a butterfly on it and wrapped it up. I am to remove the wrapping at bed time and soak it in warm salt water. After that I can put a band-aid on it. Right now I think there are voodoo drums inside the thumb. So, there will be a lull in the model building for a few days.

Cheers...

Charles

I'm very sorry to hear that Charles. I really hope the cut isn't nothing serious. Take a break , please. There is still enough of time to bring the build to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back