**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Charles, be careful! The forum already has one guy with only two fingers working - we don't want more in the same state!
Hope it heals quickly Charles, although I know from experience you'll go through that annoying 'itchy' stage.

Worked on the prop, today, even tho I know I should have stayed out of the garage. Got the four bladed prop made, BALANCED, and primed. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I took the time to make a jig, to ensure the pitch was right, and the blades were in the correct position. The bottom pic was taken outside.

The thumb is much better today, thanks...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2372.JPG
    DSC_2372.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC_2374.JPG
    DSC_2374.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_2374a.JPG
    DSC_2374a.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 92
Nicely done with the prop Charles, it certainly looks the part. Also glad the thumb has stopper throbbing, I had goose bumps reading your tale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Lads....

Today's plan is to paint the prop tips yellow, lay down the new rudder and pectral fin and start covering the floats. Trying to carve the nose blocks just led to busted stringers. I broke four in about five minutes. So covering the floats with silkspan is necessary. Pic's later today.

Charles

Got one float covered and the noseblock roughed in. Will take some fine sanding to get it where I want it, then many coats of sanding sealer to seal the pores of the balsa. Also got the new rudder pinned down, will cover it later today. Purposely left the bottom long in case I need to do some sanding for a good fit.

Coming along...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2326a.JPG
    DSC_2326a.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_2326b.JPG
    DSC_2326b.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_2327.JPG
    DSC_2327.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_2328.JPG
    DSC_2328.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 81
Great stuff Charles. I've finally found that magazine with the scale drawings - it was older than I thought, from 1999, so no winder I was looking in the wrong pace!
Apart from the very detailed scale drawings, there's a full article, with a couple of good pics (including the two MkVs in flight), covering testing and flights from the Great Bitter Lake, and the intro to a conversion using the Hasegawa 1/32nd scale Spit MkV kit.
If you'd like a copy, PM me with an e-mail address, and I'll scan it all and send it to you. Think Evan might want a copy too.

Great work Charles! Hope your thumb heals soon too.

Cheers Terry, that would be great! Be a while before before I can get into it though if that's no problem.

Nice work again Charles. Is that a spot of blood I see on the nose of the float!!

Nope.... that's where I hit the cavity where the BB's are. It will paint over. Here's what the thumb looks like this morning.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2326.JPG
    DSC_2326.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Back