**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

how do you sand those blocks down so close to the tissue without tearing it up?

Once you get 4 or 5 coats of dope on the tissue it will take quite a bit of sanding before it disintegrates. The trick is to carve it as close as possible before you start sanding.

Started on the pylons. Here's my idea for connecting the floats to the wing. The pylon will have two tongues, which will connect to grooves in the floats and wings. Shaping them with a coping saw, then lots of sanding to make the pylon like an airfoil. Made the pylon out of two 1/4" pieces of balsa, then glued them with the grain 90 degrees different. This will give the pylon strength in case of a rough water landing.....

Third pic is a dry fit to the wing.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2354.JPG
    DSC_2354.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2355.JPG
    DSC_2355.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2356.JPG
    DSC_2356.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Good stuff Charles. Is it worth reinforcing the pylon to float joint? I was thinking maybe make the tongue full chord width, and down to the keel of the float, or maybe reinforce the joint with wire, or dowel, from the tongue to the keel.

Is it worth reinforcing the pylon to float joint? I was thinking maybe make the tongue full chord width, and down to the keel of the float, or maybe reinforce the joint with wire, or dowel, from the tongue to the keel.

I was just being a wise-a$$ about the hard water landing. When this is finished it will be a ceiling hanger. The tongue and groove joins will be ok for the intended purpose. I really doubt they will need reinforcing !

Charles

I was just being a wise-a$$ about the hard water landing. When this is finished it will be a ceiling hanger. The tongue and groove joins will be ok for the intended purpose. I really doubt they will need reinforcing !

Charles

An Aerofloat plane………………………………………………………"*!@!"........I'm going ……………

Last edited:
Had to see what it would look like. Here's a pin-up of the wings to the fuselage. Will finish the pylons today. Next is to cover the wings...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2342.JPG
    DSC_2342.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_2343.JPG
    DSC_2343.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_2344.JPG
    DSC_2344.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 231

Users who are viewing this thread