**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the "rave reviews", Lads. Probably won't get too much done in the next couple of days. With a break in the weather I'll be putting in the summer veggie garden. Next job is to get the wing covered.

Charles

Yeah, Andy. I added four ribs to the wings and made a box for the tongue of the pylon to fit into. Also added some sheet balsa to the underside of the wing, so I'd have something to glue the upper flat portion of the pylon to. It will be pretty sound.

If you take another look at the first pic, you can see (from inboard out) where I added rib #3 #4, and the tongue of the pylon sticking up.

Charles

Well done. Looks like you got it covered.

Finally got the pylons attached to the floats. Looks like a couple of U-boats !! While checking the fit of the canopy I dropped the fuselage and broke off the starboard elevator. Didn't realize just how fragile this thing is.....

After I get the wing covered I can do some priming..... I think the fabric will be a little tougher with paint on it.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2363.JPG
    DSC_2363.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_2364.JPG
    DSC_2364.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks, Lads, for the nice comments, 'specially Vic. The plan for today is to get the wing covered, and wet down. If it's sunny, today, the wing will dry quickly. I may get some paint on the parts, this evening.

Charles

The wing is covered, sprayed with water and after sitting in the sun, dry. I didn't take any pic's of the wing.... if you've seen one wing, you've seen them all !!

Next I painted the fuselage, wing and floats with a light gray primer. Now I wish I had used the Sea Gray as a primer, which is the lighter of the two camo colours (notice the Aussie spelling). It would have saved time and two bottles of paint. BTW, I used Model Masters enamel, and will use MM's enamels for the Sea Gray and Extra Dark Sea Gray which are the camo colours. Next move, probably tomorrow, is to attach the wing and tape off and paint the undersides of the fuselage, bottoms of the floats and the underside of the wing with "Sky".

The pic's of the fuselage with the prop installed is one of those "I had to see what it would look like", pic's. BTW, a little tip for making the holes in the spinner for the prop blades...... I used a single hole hand punch. The type a railroad conductor would use to punch your ticket. Worked fine !

Wayne Terry: Does the rudder and ventral fin look about right ???

Moving right along.....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2365.JPG
    DSC_2365.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_2366.JPG
    DSC_2366.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2367.JPG
    DSC_2367.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_2368.JPG
    DSC_2368.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Great job on the model Charles. :thumbright: :thumbright: The rudder and ventral fin look right. An only note , there was a thin gap between the rudder bottom edge and the ventral fin top one. But it was quite thin and actually might be unoticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back