**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all the nice comments. Would also appreciate any constructive criticism .....

Painted the undersides "sky" yesterday, and painted the topsides with Model Masters' "Sea Gray" last night. Going to let it dry until tomorrow, then start masking off for the camo. Cannons are made, but not installed.

In retrospect... I should have used the sea gray as a primer, instead of light gray first, then sea gray. We learn as we do...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2377.JPG
    DSC_2377.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2378.JPG
    DSC_2378.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 206
Looking great Charles. :cool:

Here you are a file with a set of the RAF roundels for you and the Spit serial. Download the zip file and unzip. Then print it with an ordianry white paper in order to check diameters of these roundels and a size for the serial. According to my calculations the B roundel should be of 5.9cm (59mm) in dameter for your scale model. The C one should be of 3.4cm (34mm) and the C1 one of 3.8cm (38mm) in diameter. The serial should be of a size of 0.85cm (8.5mm)x3.1cm (31mm).

The picture posted here is resized down and has been posted as an example. What do you think?

Attachments

• RAF roundels set.zip
    328.6 KB · Views: 49
  • RAF kokardy.jpg
    RAF kokardy.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 54
Great stuff Wojtek. Charles, like Wayne, I can't find any fault with what you've done there. Looks good man.

Great stuff Wojtek. Charles, like Wayne, I can't find any fault with what you've done there. Looks good man.

You guys have not looked closely ! There are enough patches on the tissue to make you think you're looking at a real warbird that's seen action. Most of the little boo-boos I've made were correctable. The starboard elevator was broke off three times, and each time glued back on. I painted the glue mass and we'll call it a fairing ! I broke four stringers in one float in one day, and had to repair them. Fortunately, they are not noticeable.

Thank you, Wojtek, for the decals. I have downloaded them and will print them out on paper, then jockey to get the correct size. I have plenty of time before decals go on. The Sea Gray is going to dry for a couple of days before I mask off and do the Extra Dark Sea Gray.

I do appreciate your positive comments. And thanks to those whose advice and council was confined to PM's..... you know who you are !

Charles

Thank you, Wojtek, for the decals. I have downloaded them and will print them out on paper, then jockey to get the correct size.

Charles

Dear Friend,

The Zip file contains the sheet of a correct size I hope. However you have to check if these are of proper ones because computers make errors as well.

Dear Friend,

The Zip file contains the sheet of a correct size I hope. However you have to check if these are of proper ones because computers make errors as well.

Wojtek:

Just printed the roundels. The B roundel should be 59 mm, and prints 88 mm. The C roundel should be 34 mm and prints 51 mm. The C1 roundel should be 38 mm and prints 57 mm. The RAF serials number should be 31 mm (I think you mean high) and is only 13 mm. Wide it is 46 mm. Looks like I have to play with this...

Charles

Humm... It might be the Photoshop error. I set centimetres as the measure line. The serial should be 8mm and a half high, and 31mm wide. In reality the serial was 8" high and about 29.0163" wide.

Check the pic by printing. The Irfanview says it is 5.9x5.9cm....

Attachments

• B roundel.jpg
    B roundel.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
You don't need the Photoshop. Just click on the pic you downloaded with right mouse button and choose Print option. Then check settings of your printer. Possible it makes auto adjustment to the picture trying to adjust it to the default page for the A4 size. Change the measure units from inches to centimetre if it is needed.

Attachments

• print.jpg
    print.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 92
  • print1.jpg
    print1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Other than playin' with the roundels, I didn't get too much accomplished on the floatplane today. I painted the underside of the cannon "sky" and while I had the paint open and the hairy stick in my hand, I re-painted the spinner with "sky".

All the color pic's I've seen have the spinner painted "sky". Hopefully, tomorrow, I can start to mask off for the camo. Think I'll try my talents on the floats first.

Charles

As I have mentioned it to you earlier the EP751 had a little bit different fin-flash on the tail because of the fin modification. It seems that the one was of 610x610mm ( 21"x21" ). So it should be 25.4x25.4mm ( 1"x1" ) for your kit scale accordingly. Therefore I edited the decal set and added to that the fin-flash for both tail sides. Also there is the fin-flash as single pic for checking its dimensions when printed and its fitting to the fin of your model.

Attachments

• Spi4c.jpg
    Spi4c.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 80
  • Spi4a.jpg
    Spi4a.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Spi4b.jpg
    Spi4b.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 80
  • fin-flash.jpg
    fin-flash.jpg