**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Worked like a Turk, this evening getting the floatplane masked off, so I can throw some paint (Extra Dark Sea Gray) tomorrow. Not much on the Brits camo, so I cut out parts of the plans that had the camo outline and use that as a pattern. Going to have to wing it on the floats, tho. Weather permitting I will have it painted tomorrow.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2399.JPG
    DSC_2399.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_2400.JPG
    DSC_2400.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_2401.JPG
    DSC_2401.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 82
Terry can easily correct me here Charles but I think most Spits followed either the a or b scheme camo patterns, each being simply a iorror image of the other. The schemes look different than what you have there and would be more like this:
spitfire_profile01.png

Yep, Andy is correct, although the 'A' and 'B' wasn't always implemented after late 1941 - with exceptions of course! If you follow the profiles above, you'll be OK.

Unfortunately I saw this too late ! I got up early this morning because I knew it was going to rain. I got three good coats (no runs !) of the Model Masters Extra Dark Sea Gray on the floatplane and the floats. At about 1040 it started to rain. My next question is.... it looks to me that the Mk-Vb floatplane did not go "by the rules" when it came to camo..... was it different because of the area it was going to operate in ? All the color pic's I've seen, of the Mk-Vb, don't look anything like Andy's post. Anyhow, the deed is done. Already the paint seems dry to the touch, but I am going to wait til about noon to take the masking off. In all probability Andy and Terry are right..... so it looks like I'm stuck with the Sea Gray/Extra Dark Sea Gray camo.

Floats go on next.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2402.JPG
    DSC_2402.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_2403.JPG
    DSC_2403.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_2404.JPG
    DSC_2404.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_2405.JPG
    DSC_2405.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 64
No worries Charles - unless you can easily over paint the darkest colour, don't change it if it's going to cause problems.
The reason the MkV float plane probably looks different, especially in B&W photos, is that it was painted in the two 'maritime' colours, Dark and Extra Dark Sea Grey, which tend to blend into almost one tone. The 'normal' Spit camouflage was the Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey (Ocean Grey), as shown in the profile Andy posted, which gave a distinct demarcation between colours.
Andy posted the profile just for the pattern, which would be similar, and not for the colours. Once it's all done, and especially with a finishing coat of clear matt varnish, any deviation in the pattern will hardly be noticed with those two particular colours.

Terry:

I'm afraid over painting right now would cause big problems. I'm content to leave it as is. I think, after a coat of clear, it will be ok.

Charles

The masking is off. Going to let everything dry for at least a day. Have very little "leakage" and that will touch up easy.

Not at all satisfied with the camo on the floats..... too many straight lines, but my hairy stick will remedy that with some curvy lines.

The notches on the underside of the wings are for the floats.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2406.JPG
    DSC_2406.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_2407.JPG
    DSC_2407.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_2408.JPG
    DSC_2408.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 61
Can you believe it ? I just broke the starboard elevator off... AGAIN !!!

edit: Just printed off a decal sheet from the set that Wojtek took the time to scale down
and edit for me, for the correct fin flash and roundels. They came out perfectly. Thanks !!

Charles

Last edited:
Damn! If you don't mind me saying, another thing I'm seeing (but don't recommend you fix) is that the rad and oil cooler seem too close to the aircraft centerline and should both be more outboard. Otherwise, looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it all assembled.

Attachments

• Spitfire F VB Plans A.R. Clint.jpg
    Spitfire F VB Plans A.R. Clint.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 256
Andy... Don't mean to start anything, but I put them when my (Mk-I) plans called for them. Were they in different positions on the Mk-Vb ?

Charles

Attachments

• scan0040.jpg
    scan0040.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 70
Andy... Don't mean to start anything, but I put them when my (Mk-I) plans called for them. Were they in different positions on the Mk-Vb ?

Charles

The plans are ok Charles, but the oil cooler (the thinner fairing) should be just a little more outboard, as in Andy's pic, and the radiator slightly wider.
I think the main optical problem is the wing trailing edge fillets which are a little wide, thus making the radiator and oil cooler seem closer to centre than they really are.

This is just nitpicking though - when the floats are on, these minor deviations won't be noticable at all IMO.

Loving your progress here Charles.

Done well matey.
Just a tip on the masks. It's not necessary to "tape" the edges of the masks. If you put glue tac under the edge, let it sit up from the surface and spray from the inside of the edge or directly from the top of the edge of the mask it will feather slightly and give a more realistic look to it.

But having said that, what you have looks the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back