**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Humm.. The EDSG colour is the dark-blue-grey one. But the DSG is dark-green-grey paint. So these are different colours while the DSG is the one of the a green tinge

The Dark Sea Grey is a different colour form EDSG and DSG.

I really don't look forward to completely painting this floatplane again, but I am going to the LHS tomorrow and see if he has the Dark Slate Gray and the Dark Sea Gray. I have the Model Master numbers, so if he don't have them I can order them. I'm not much on the Brits camo, so if someone has some GOOD diagrams I would appreciate seeing them. In the meantime I am going to sand this thing down with 800 grit sandpaper, very lightly, and mask off the undersides. No point in painting the "sky" again. Grrrrr !!!

Charles

Sincere apologies Charles. In my haste I wrote the wrong descriptions. The Dark Slate Grey replaced Dark Sea Grey (which is the one I meant to type) in name, as there had been confusion over colour names and shades - which obviously confused me!
If you are going to re-paint the upper surfaces, then follow the pattern on the profile of the MkIX which Andy posted, using the lighter of the two colours where the grey is shown on the profile. This was a standard pattern which didn't vary (much), apart from the mirror image of the 'A' and 'B' schemes already mentioned, but ignore that to make things easier.
Hope you get it done without too much trouble.

Went to the LHS this morning, and they did have the Model Master enamel Dark Slate Gray #2056 and the Extra Dark Sea Gray #2059. Now, my next question is.... See Andy's profile in post # 243. When I print it out it comes up blue and olive drab. The "Y" on the starboard wing is olive drab. Which color is which, when I go to paint with the Slate Gray and the Dark Sea Gray ???

Oh.... did the Mk-Vb floatplane have the yellow on the leading edges of the wings ???

Wojtek has recommended painting overall top surfaces with the Extra Dark Sea Gray, then mask and paint with the Dark Slate Gray (unless I read his PM wrong).

Comments would be appreciated. It will be a couple of days before I can start painting.

Edit: 1455... The HDD in my Dell died this morning. I am on an old Dell laptop and it's really slow. So I may not be on-line too much til I replace the HDD and reinstall all my programs.

Charles

Last edited:
Paint the colour which prints out 'blue' in the lighter of the two shades Charles, which I think is the Dark Slate Grey - can't remember without seeing them together!
From close study of the available photos, it looks like the yellow leading edge strips were not used. These were for ID purposes on single engine day fighters in Northern Europe, so makes sense that they wouldn't be used.
EDIT: The two colours are very close together in terms of tone and brightness. So, if you use the starboard side colour profile of the float plane, posted previously, this will give you guidance as to which is which. Basically, the colour which is a definite grey should go where the grey (showing blue on your print-out) would be, and the colour which has a greenish tinge should go where the green is (showing as Olive Drab on your print-out). From memory, the greenish tinge will be the Dark Slate Grey - but check by painting a piece of scrap, as a sample, and letting it dry.

Last edited:
Trying to get the floatplane taped up... and re-load my computer at the same time. The floatplane was a lot easier to
paint with the floats off.....

Charles

Charles,

According to the proflie posted at the beginning of the thread, the Spitfire wore the camo scheme of the A variant. Here you are a full profile for a such one. No yellow leading wing edges, no Sky band on the rear area of the fuselage and no Medium Sea Grey on undersides. Instaed of that there was Sky S-typ on undesides. Instead of the Ocean Grey on tops there was the Extra Dark Sea Grey and instaead of the Dark Green there was the Dark Slate Grey.

Attachments

• spit camo 11.jpg
    spit camo 11.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 67
  • spit camo 1.jpg
    spit camo 1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Don't know what to say, I'm sure you have had this problem in the past. You probably have a cool way of fixing this, (I'm guessing), thumb through the skin thing.
A lot of us built balsa and tissue in our youth, but you seem to have a real gift with it,...Show us Mr. Cheese!

Needless to say, this is a real pain in the arse (as Wayne would say). The damage has been repaired, just need to put several coats of 50/50 clear dope/thinner on it,to seal the pores of the tissue. I have the bottom of the floats masked off, and part of the fuselage. Will work on it some more tomorrow.

I replaced the HDD is my computer, now I'm re-installing all my programs. At least I can get on line....

Charles

Glad you got it fixed Charles. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on in cuz it's really looking great man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back