**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was one day off only and so much has happened. Well done My Friend. :)

And here you are the front view at the Spitfire floatplane.

Attachments

• Spi5front.jpg
    Spi5front.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 121
No work on the floatplane today, Guys. Had my epidural (spinal) shot this morning and I'm not feeling the greatest. The anesthesia is wearing off and I'm looking for a place to crash. I just hope I don't burn, too.

Charles

I agree about the radiator and oil cooler, and they were in the same location on both Marks, just the oil cooler had a circular front intake on the MkV. I think also that the wing root fillet is creating an optical illusion, so leave it as is, especially now it's painted.
It's looking very good Charles, and I hope you recover soon.

Feeling much better tonight, Lads. An afternoon nap and the after-effects of the epidural are gone and so is the pain.

Re-installed the starboard elevator, and did the patching. Got the sea gray painted, will paint the extra dark sea gray and the sky tomorrow. Also painted..... free hand, no less.... the intake area of the radiator and oil cooler. The cannon are painted... undersides "sky" and the topside which ever color was at that part of the wing. While I had the hairy stick with black enamel on it, I painted the cannon tips, too. No plans for tomorrow, we'll see what develops.

Thanks for the kind words. I have "degenerative spinal disease", and have to get an epidural steroid shot every so often. My last one was December of 2010. They are usually good for a year, I seem to stretch them a bit. They usually take about five days to kick in.

(I also have stage IV kidney disease on my starboard side)

Cheers...

Charles

Glad to hear you're on the up and up Charles. Didn't mean to stir the pot with those observations regarding the underwing stuff. Looked a bit odd to me but in no way detracts from the job you're doing. Keep it up!

Sorry to hear about the health issues Charles, but glad you don't need the shots as often atleast.

Looking forward to your new pics, this is a fantastic build so far.

Good to hear you in the mood for modelling, you must be recovering well, health issues are a bit of a sod when one is getting on in years. Keep plodding on Charles, you're doing a sterling job.

I know all of you have been waiting for this..... the marriage of the floats to the plane. Well, here it is. I now have, as Wayne says, the fiddly little things to do. Attach the cannon, antenna mast, etc.

As you can see, I modified the camo on the floats. Brits don't do straight lines, as the Germans did

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2412.JPG
    DSC_2412.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_2413.JPG
    DSC_2413.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_2414.JPG
    DSC_2414.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 107
Looking great. But the top camo on floats should have been two-tone rather. ALso it seems that there is a lack of the second colour of the camo scheme at the top and sides. Have you finished painting of that yet?

The camo is finished. It consists of "sea gray" and "extra dark sea gray" on top and sides and "sky" on all the undersides.

Charles

Last edited:
Humm.. the difference in tonality between the Extra Dark Sea Grey and the Sea Grey is too huge.

Looking very good Charles, but I agree with Wojtek - it looks like two tones plus a light tone on the floats, with the light tone on the airframe looking quite light. But, it looks like the pics were done in bright sunlight, so that could be affecting things.
BTW, there was a reason for the British 'wavy' camouflage and the German 'angular' or 'splinter' camouflage. It was due to the territory being flown over the most - Britain, particularly the south, is mainly irregular field patterns, none of which are the same size or shape (dates back to the partioning of fields and the planting of hedgerows, in the 1700s), whereas in France, northern Europe and particularly Germany, the landscape was/is more 'angular', with regular shapes and sizes to agricultural land.

Oh.. I know where the mistake has been made. These clours should be Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey but not the Sea Grey ( or the Dark Sea Grey ).

Just DSG doesn't stand for Dark Sea Grey but stands for Dark Slate Grey. I'm afraid you have used the incorrect colour My Friend.

Here is its sample... FS34096

Attachments

• DSG_.jpg
    DSG_.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
It can be known as RAF Dark Slate Gray - Testors Model Master II Enamel Flat RAF Dark Slate Grey no.2056

model-master-ii-enamel-flat-raf-dark-slate-grey.jpg

For the Extra Dark Sea Grey - Testors Model Master II Enamel RAF Dark Sea Grey no.2059

model-master-ii-enamel-raf-dark-sea-grey.jpg

My info on the camo came from Terry on the color scheme.....

Airframes said:
Hope it proves useful, and it's OK, I have the full book on my PC.
BTW, the colours are Extra Dark Sea Grey, Sea Grey and Sky. The 'Extra Dark', although a grey, has a distinct green tinge, and is sometimes referred to as 'Slate Grey'.

I bought the Sea Gray, Extra Dark Sea Gray and the Sky. I have since repainted the dark on the floats because I could see where I touched it up after the camo paint job. I could see the darker areas at the edge of the dark. That has since gone away.

My Extra Dark Sea Gray does not have a green tinge.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back