**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here we are late on Friday afternoon. It looks like we are back to square one. Gave the floatplane three good coats of the Model Master RAF Dark Sea Gray MM's # 2059. The pic's were taken out back in the light, but not in bright sunlight. To me the pic's look blue, but the plane is a nice almost battleship gray. I was very careful to get a 45 percent thinner, 55 percent paint mix, and wait about 15 minutes twix coats. I got three decent..... no runs... coats on it.

This will dry/cure for a few days and we'll go ahead with the camo with the RAF Dark Slate Gray, MM's # 2056. This Slate Gray does have a green tinge.

Cheers...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2423.JPG
    DSC_2423.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_2424.JPG
    DSC_2424.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_2425.JPG
    DSC_2425.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
Thanks guys...... It just dawned on me, I have to re-tape and repaint the canopy. Try to get that taped tomorrow, so when I'm ready to go with the Dark Slate Gray, I can do the canopy as well. The cockpit will be in the area covered by the Slate Gray.

And.... the neighbor to the north of my yard has a above-ground backyard pool. I'll have to get some pic's of it actually floating...

Charles

First class recovery Charles and great pictures. Certainly looking forward to the prospects of the pool shots, you're a game man I'd be afraid the Spit would be thinking it's a submarine.

Well, if it didn't, at least it wouldn't sink, being balsa. And the dope finish will make it waterproof too - just make sure it's tethered Charles - don't want you having to dive in fully clothed to retrieve it if a sudden breeze takes it off down pool !

Been masking and taping most of the day. I enlarged the pic's that someone put up, then cut the pieces and taped them on. I tried not to use any "licence" with the camo. Where the masks are will stay Dark Sea Gray, the areas to be painted will be Dark Slate Gray. Comments ???

Tomorrow I will tape mask the floats and the canopy.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2426.JPG
    DSC_2426.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_2428.JPG
    DSC_2428.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_2429.JPG
    DSC_2429.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 60
Have to agree with Andy and I do like that last shot where you can see the glass ripple reflected in the floats. it would be magic if you could get that in your final finished shots.

Have to agree with Andy and I do like that last shot where you can see the glass ripple reflected in the floats. it would be magic if you could get that in your final finished shots.

I can do that ! I can even go you one better.... how about the floatplane sitting on real water ??

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back