<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Robert, Terry, and Andy. I'd pass the bottle but it's empty!

The long build on this model is doing my head in a bit so thought I'd dry fit the airframe to give myself a bit of a kick along to finish off the last bits. Starting to look like a Corsair...

airframe dry fit web.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps, appreciate it :thumbleft:

Been tidying up some bits and pieces and weathering with the landing gear. Applied Montex masks for serial numbers to the strut-mounted gear bay doors. The masks are a tinted transparency which make it easy to position the mask relative to surface detail. I must say I really like the Montex stuff.

strut doors web.jpg

The serial numbers were sprayed scale black. I also weathered the landing gear with oils and then sealed it with flat varnish. I'll probably augment this later with some pigments. Very nice detail on the Tamiya landing gear.

landing gear weathered web.jpg

main gear weathered a web.jpg

main gear weathered b web.jpg

Thanks for looking in :salute:

Thanks a lot for the encouragement guys :thumbright:

Finalising the last construction steps prior to painting. Fitted the armoured glass and windscreen with no problems, fit of both was good.

armoured glass web.jpg

front canopy web.jpg

I completed painting and fitting of various formation and navigation lights. All the clear parts not being painted with Tamiya clear colours were given a Pledge dip so I was able to use Tamiya Extra Thin (carefully!) augmented with Kristal Clear to secure them, particularly the ones at risk of falling back into the interior of the model. They were then masked with Montex masks or Micro Mask (the blue stuff).

wings finished web.jpg

I thought a lot about whether to attach the outer wings before or after painting as the join delineates the insignia white and intermediate blue on the bottom surface and they would be easier to handle. In the end, I decided to attach them so that the paint and weathering particularly on the upper surface is properly blended and I don't run into any fitting or gluing issues later that might mean paint re-work.

The vertical stabiliser and rudder, however, will be a different colour to the upper fuselage and the test fit is seamless, so I have decided to leave them off until after painting. Similarly, the flaps will be posed down, so I have also left them to be fitted later.

wings attached a web.jpg

wings attached b web.jpg

wings attached c web.jpg

Now I have a question for you guys I hope you can help me with. Does anybody have any recommendations for acrylic paints or paint mixes for the US tricolour FS35164 (ANA608) Intermediate Blue and FS35042 (ANA607) Sea Blue colours? I will be using faded colours to simulate the weathering from the harsh Pacific land-based conditions.

I already have the MM enamels, but I'm thinking of using hairspray chipping so need to use acrylics for that. I also have the Lifecolor acrylics, but I find them difficult to spray for fine work and gum up my airbrush a bit.

Thanks! :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back