<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Lacquer thinner on clear parts - certainly not!! I did give them a wipe down with soapy water to remove any finger oil and the masks went down fine.

The demonstration showed using Mr Color Leveling Thinner. And when I said lite I meant really lite, he used an ear bud dipped in and then wrung mostly dry. It did not appear to harm anything and apparently he has been using the method for years. I have to admit that I thought the same thing at first. I have always used the detergent and water method myself.

OK, enough putting it off. Time to start scratch building the cowl flap pulley system. This is the one area of the kit Tamiya does not provide detail and, since I will be posing the cowl flaps open and it is very visible, I think I really need to do something about it. Here's what I'll try to represent.

cowl flap reference.jpg

The components for each bearing were fashioned from plastic strip and rod. Each square of the cutting mat is 10 mm, so they're small!

pulley components web.jpg

Assembled...

pulley bearing web.jpg

And installed. The pulley wire will thread through the gap in the notch left below the roller.

pulley bearing installed web.jpg

Only 15 more to go :crazyeyes::drinking:

Nice work there Kirby. A bit repetitive and tedious having to make so may, but maybe you could hire some of Wayne's little elves, or whoever he uses to do the tiny jobs - he only charges $15,000 per hour, per elf !!

Oops, sorry !
Now where did that pesky elf get to .................

I kidnapped him Terry and made him make all of these for me. He's now having several stiff whiskies.

Once everything's dried properly I'll get him to thread the cable wire in the morning. Then you can have him back Wayne.

cowl flaps with bearers web.jpg

Thanks guys. Construction of the cowl flap pulley system completed with threading of .025 mm wire and addition of discs made from rod to represent the reinforcing plate buttons. I'm a bit cross-eyed after all of this.

cowl flaps with pulley web.jpg

Used my usual method of black-basing followed by painting zinc chromate yellow and detail painting the cable and rollers. Everything was pulled together with weathering with oils.

cowl ring finished a web.jpg
cowl ring finished b web.jpg

I'm glad this out of the way :crazyeyes:. Edging towards the end of construction...

I'm reduced to a quivering blob just looking at it - pass the bottle over here !
Excellent work Kirby, well worth another case of Scottish White Wine, 12 year old at that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back