<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just made the mounts for the pulleys out of styrene card, the pulleys with cut rod, and the cables with stretched sprue. This is 1/48:

14032301.jpg
14032402.jpg

Perhaps I can borrow Andy's cowlflaps ;). In a bit of a boring phase at the moment, prepping and constructing sub-assemblies. Although I had to drill out 3.5 mm holes for the formation lights in the upper wings and found that my new 3.5 mm drill bit was too big for my largest pin vice chuck. I've got no other manual drill and trying to do it by hand wasn't working sooooo....

formation light drill web.jpg

I had visions of fragments of melted plastic flying in all directions but with a careful (but nervous) trigger finger I managed to pull it off. Needs a bit of cleanup but at least the wings aren't pieces of mangled plastic!

formation light holes web.jpg

I also decided to strip the ventral window using IPA and repainted it zinc chromate yellow primer. I black-based the interior of the cowl preparatory to painting with FS 36118 grey and the landing gear pistons and landing light interiors were painted gloss black enamel ahead of painting with metalizer.

window painted zcy web.jpg
lights black base web.jpg

I think I've got a plan for scratch building the cowl flap pulley system so might get started on that once I get bored of drilling holes in things and putting flaps, etc together...

Last edited:
Good stuff. A bit risky using a power tool, but it seems to have worked.
If you're stuck for a similar task in the future, use a drill bit as close as you can get which will fit the pin vice, and then enlarge the hole with a jeweler's 'rat's tail' file.

Well, I was on my third pint so figured I'd use some of it to strip the paint!

Good idea Terry, although I don't have a round file either! I think this was a case of impatience to keep things moving! I gave it a test run so was fairly confident but don't plan to make it a standard technique :rolleyes:

Ahh, the good old days. I remember when I was a kid all I had was a knife, a tube of glue, and some Humbrol paints and brushes. And I used to walk 8 miles through the snow to get to my LHS...

I hear ya Wayne, not planning on making a habit of it!

Been busy constructing wings and other sub-assemblies. The way I deal with seams on most things is to run Tamiya Extra Thin through the seam a section at a time and quickly clamp the parts firmly so that a thin line of molten plastic is squeezed out of the seam. Don't touch it!

wing glued web.jpg

It's left to dry for several hours and then the back of a hobby knife is used to gently remove the bulk of the squeezed out plastic.

wing knife web.jpg

Any residual squeezed out plastic is sanded off and the join polished with various grades of sandpaper and panel lines that cross the join re-scribed. Et voila, no seams and no filler needed :) Helps when the kit is well-engineered like this one is.

wing sanded web.jpg

I used this method to assemble various other sub-assemblies with no problems.

sub assemblies web.jpg

Although this phase is a bit tedious, I have to tip my hat to Tamiya again. Everything fits perfectly, and they have even supplied extra PE detail for the flaps which also conforms perfectly to the assemblies and surface detail. This is by far the best engineered kit I have ever built.

flaps web.jpg

Thanks for dropping by guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back