<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy. Yes, I did notice that but don't have a Dremel to conveniently bore out holes that size so decided to leave it as it won't be obvious when in place. I briefly thought about trying to punch them out with a punch and die set but had visions of shattered plastic flying in all directions!

Good catch though, I was wondering if somebody would pick it up! :thumbleft:

Last edited:
I would have used drills if I had done it. Start small, then get big enough to sick a circular file in then open them up to the required diameter with the file. Dremels make me shudder!

Very nice work indeed, and good photography too.
I agree about using a drill and file - Dremmel-type tools have very limited uses in plastic modelling, even on the 'slow' settings, as they are still too fast and aggressive, the friction causing the plastic to melt and clog into Panzerplas.

Agree with Robert. Used to do it with both drill and file, but since getting my (Tamiya) pin vice, have never looked back. Takes all the work out of it.

That cockpit looks boss! Great work on the pit! I agree with the above comments... micro drill set and pin vise are invaluable additions to the tool box. The pin vise is also great when you need to work on a part that is too small to grip with your fingertips. And I chuck a sewing needle in one as scribing tool. Great to have a few pin vises around.

Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a pin vise but the biggest drill bit I have is 1.2 mm which wasn't going to be terribly useful for these holes which may have been 4-5 mm. It looks as though one of the spare chucks I have for the pin vise might take bigger drill bits, what's the biggest drill bit sizes you guys have for the pin vise?

There are pin vises for drill bits of bigger diameters ( like the set in the pic below ). But these of 3-6mm ones are enough large and long to use them without the handle. Usually, I use the 1-1.2mm drill bit with a pin vice to set the centre of the hole and then I use the 3-6mm drill bits for drilling of the hole of needed diameter. If you need a such set though you just need to check on the hardware shops at your area.

The set .. for drill bits of diameter ...

2.9-4.8 mm (0.115-0.187 in)
1.3-3.2 mm (0.050-0.125 in)
0.8 - 1.6 mm (0.030 - 0.062 in)
0-1 mm (0-0.040 in)

pin vice.jpg

Last edited:
The Tamiya pin vice (with a 'c' in the Queen's english :) ) takes bits from 0.3 to 3.0 mm. Two double headed bit holders, one stowed inside the handle.

...and with all - beautiful job so far mate!

I think my pin vice, very like the Tamiya (probably the same but half the price!) is from either Shesto or Modelcraft tools. I also bought a set similar to the one posted by Wojtek, although the pin chucks are nylon, which I found on e-bay for around £4 from memory.
My largest drill bit is 3mm, but I normally drill smaller, and then ream or file with a rat's tail jewellers file.

Righto, time to finish the interiors and button her up. Black-basing combined with subtle oil washes and drybrushing was used again. The 1A interior other than the cockpit and cowl area was zinc chromate yellow so I have used Tamiya XF-4 at the rear.

cokpit sidewalls web.jpg

interiors web.jpg

cockpit fitted web.jpg

interior fitted web.jpg

Like everything with this kit so far fits together perfectly. Next job will be the P&W R-2800 radial engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back