**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar234B-2 - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. I've now finished the instrument dials and dabbed them with Future. Throttles (yellow) and fuel cocks (red) have been added using some spare PE levers from my Eduard Hellcat. PE seatbelts are Eduard as well. The thing that looks like a stick shift just to the left of the seat is an elevator trim lever and was made with a piece of stretched sprue with the end held to a flame to create a bulb. The rest of the knobs where given a wash of black oil, then picked out in black. After adding all this, everything was given a faint drybrushing of silver.

Thanks again for looking in a for your kind comments.

13021603.jpg

13021604.jpg

13021605.jpg

13021606.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Terry. Looking closer at that cockpit diagram you sent me, there's yet another lever at the pilot's right hand that I need to add but I don't know what it is. Do you by chance have the last page of the part descriptions handy? The one you sent me stops at number 68.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Lots more yet to come with the instrument panel wiring and the various parts that attach to the cockpit sides. For the latter, I'm waiting on receipt of the vac form canopy, which Terry generously donated, to see how much, if anything, I will need to hack up in this area. I sure don't want to wreck this model's clear parts!

Sorry Andy, I thought I'd scanned the whole of the 'key'. What number is the part, and I'll check it out - and also see if I can send the complete drawing key this time!
Thought that canopy would have arrived by now - but then, some of my local Mail has been a bit slow recently - probably the wrong kind of snow on the rail tracks or something! Hope it arrives soon Andy.
EDIT: Just had a quick look - if it's the vertical lever at the front, right of the seat pan, numbered '71', then it's the Emergency Hydraulic Hand Pump'.
I'll scan and post the remainder of the 'key' here, just as soon as I've had my dinner!

Last edited:
The pigeon must have run into a head wind! I'm not worried though. It'll probably arrive this coming week.

The part number no longer matters Terry, though if not too much trouble, the scanned additional key page would be good for my files. I actually found the part in question referenced in a copy of the Ar234 flight manual. It's a hydraulic hand pump, presumably for emergency use and it's now installed.

Yep, as mentioned, it's the Emergency hydraulic hand pump, used in conjunction with the selector switch for flaps and gear (86).
Here's the missing part of the key (it was on the next page, which I hadn't noticed!), and the first part, just in case.
I had a quick read of Eric Brown's account of flying the Arado, and he mentions the official pilot's notes that he eventually found. Looks like we were right about abandoning the aircraft in flight - seems there probably wasn't much hope, as the notes instruct that, the control column has to be unlatched and thrown forward, the roof panel jettisoned, and then 'try to dive sideways, under the leading edge...'!!!
No mention of type of parachute, although the drawing with the vac-form canopy instructions shows a 'bucket' type of seat pan, and padded back rest, and the cutaway I have, from rear 3/4 starboard, only has the seat 'bucket' in view.

Attachments

• Can Jan 681.jpg
    Can Jan 681.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Can Jan 691.jpg
    Can Jan 691.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 113
Ah, thanks for posting that Terry, exactly what I needed. As to the bailout, the unlatching of the control column was aparently a feature for normal operation as well. When the pilot used the bombsight, he had to swivel the column out of the way so he could get his head forward and eye on the sight. I can't image the contortions this presented, but probably easier than diving UNDER the wing!!!

Maybe the idea was to unlatch the control column, so that the pilot could then stick his head between his knees and kiss his ar*e goodbye!!

Sitting on a parachute or a cushion? :lol:

Progress for the day. Instrument panel has had gauge backs installed on the back using round tube and wires made of 3lb fishing line inserted. In addition, the two gauges on the left console got the same treatment.

13021701.jpg

13021702.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back