<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter TF X - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, it looks like the sling is attached to the eyelet. Thanks Chris.

Moving along, I made some slow but steady progress over the week. I'll need to break this into two posts due to the number of pics. First off, let's take a look at the oil cooler intake where I added the actuator rod for the louvres. The first pic shows how it's supplied in the kit.

16120901.jpg

The actual intake (below) has a vertical rod in each space and this is what I need to replicate.

beau23.jpg

My first thought was to cut little bits of stretched sprue and try to insert them into the gaps (hopefully straight) but I then decided it would be much easier to just drill a hole from the top through each louvre and run a single piece of sprue through the whole length and clean the outer surface afterward.

16120902.jpg
16120903.jpg

This worked out pretty well, though in hindsight it appears that I drilled the hole too far back into the recess in both cases.

The solid-molded exit louvres, which were removed earlier, were now replaced with styrene card.

16120904.jpg

At the wing tips, a unique feature of my particular Beau was that the rear facing lens on the port side was faired or painted over. The one on the starboard side had the clear lens left in place but the bulb removed. Both rear facing signal lights were replaced with bulbs mounted on the end of cylindrical extensions. The kit supplies one such extension but not the other and I hacked it off in any case and will add new ones using brass tube. The first pic below shows the starboard wing tip as supplied in the kit.

16121207.jpg

Here's the port side, where I added the kit-supplied clear part, filled the seams and re-scribed the lines.

16121206.jpg

Post 2 follows....

The re-scribing of panel lines on the upper surfaces of the wing continued and I also tried to removed the step at the wing root. With these done, it was time to squirt on some primer to see how I did.

Here's the port wing with the new oil tank access panel, newly scribed access hatches, oil cooler exit louver, and revised gun access louvre. This turned out pretty good, though there are a few start/stops of panel lines that need to be correctd and the exit louvre needs a bit of work to blend it in a bit better.

16121201.jpg

Here's the inner wing on the same side. The newly scribed dinghy hatch, access panels and wing root turned out well.

16121202.jpg

The starboard side looks good. Nothing really to do here except go over the gun access fasteners once again.

16121203.jpg

As reported elsewhere, I felt compelled to order an after-market replacement for the exhaust stacks and one look at the pic below shows why. The kit-supplied parts are woefully inadequate when compared with the newly arrived Ultracast resin ones on the right.

16121204.jpg

An end-on look at the Ultracast parts shows that each outlet has a recessed detail. I'm happy that I got these as I would have regretted using the kit parts after all the work I've been doing on other parts.

16121205.jpg

Thanks for checking in. I don't expect any further progress until the weekend as I have things going on every night this week.

However, after this week, I should have LOADS of time as I have chosen to retire after 21 years with my current employer. Many factors have led to this decision, not the least of which is the state of our local economy (which is tied heavily to global oil prices) and the fact that much younger and more vulnerable people are being let go. I'm satisfied that it's the right thing for me and I'm looking forward to a new phase of life!

Nice work Andy, especially the nifty solution to the oil cooler shutter actuators, and those exhausts will certainly make a difference.
Great news re your retirement, and we can look forward to Andy's Aviation Works going in to full-time production !

Primer doesn't lie... great work on the wing mods! And congrats on your retirement! Will be a big change for you!

Possible but not bloody probable!

Thanks for the cntinued interest guys. Not much done on her other than added the engines after continuing to refine the panel lines. Should get some pics up before Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back