<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter TF X - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Karl.

After studying my subject's references for almost 2 hours, I've come up with a checklist of notes and mods that I have yet to do, many of which are needed before I start the final painting. This is just the first of almost 2 pages. One of the main considerations will be whether I have a set of the MkIII rocket rails in my spares somewhere. These would be consistent with the circa January 1945 period I'm trying to depict. If I don't have them, I'll revert to an earlier depiction, possibly even changing schemes.

20170102_163951_001.jpg

Andy, if my memory is correct, and the Mk.III rails are the later, straight 'lightweight' type, then I have four sets of eight rails and RP's that i won't be using.
Two sets from Airfix Mosquito kits, fitted with HE RP's, and two sets form Tamiya Mosquito kits, fitted with AP RP's, the latter the type most likely used on your subject, given it was on anti-shipping Ops.
The Tamiya examples are those in the darker plastic, and more detailed than the Airfix version, although a little smaller.
Let me know if you want them, and I'll catch the next passing pigeon.
I'm guessing your kit has the deflector plates for beneath the wings, as I believe they're included in all versions of the Tamiya Beau kit, but again, if you need them, let me know, as I have a pair left over from my Beau kit.

Mosquito PR.IX build 172.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 173.JPG

Thanks Terry. I've yet to check what I have bit will let you know. And yes 404 dispensed with the the large 60 lb warheads in favour of the AP's

Terry, I found some MkIII rails in the leftovers from my Revell Mosquito and, though they are a bit rough, I think I can make them do. Thanks for the kind offer though.

So now it's a matter of working through my lengthy list of small mods and additions. The first shot below shows the three signal lamps that I drilled into the fuselage underside, one being slightly offset, followed by scribing a circle around the holes. Also seen is the scratch built beam approach antenna which was simply made by cutting off a section of an old 1/72 scale tail wheel, drilling a holes, and inserting a length of stretched sprue.

I've not yet decided which of a couple of options I will use to finish off the lamp lenses but, in any case, this will be left until after the underside has been painted.

17010301.jpg

Behind the nacelles, the fuel dump outlets were drilled out (I might have shown this already as I did this some time ago).

17010302.jpg

There's a small blister on the port side of the fuselage under the turret that I made by making a slanted cut across an end piece of sprue and shaping it into a tear drop. The more I look at it, the more I'm inclined to replace it as I think it's turned out a bit on the large side.

17010303.jpg

On the opposite side, I decided to add a patch for the flare opening. Period photos show both open and patched holes but I have no photo of this for my particular aircraft. Once cured, I will file the patch down as it's a bit on the thick side.

17010304.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in.

Glad you found some RP rails Andy, but if they don't work out, give me a shout and I'll send the Tamiya set.
Nice work on the additions, just about to do the same thing with the I.D. lamps on the Mosquito PR.IX.

Progress has been made in tiny steps, starting with replacement of the aforementioned blister with a slightly smaller one.

17010805.jpg

The prop is a unique one for the chosen scheme in that it has a white spiral over a black hub. Unfortunately, no decals are provided for these on the Aviaeology sheet (though spiral decals are as often a miss as a hit for me) so I had to make do with masking and painting these myself. I started by painting the prop tips yellow and the hubs white and then masking the spiral as best as I could.

17010802.jpg

After spraying the black, the masks were stripped away and the spirals were touched up by hand though they are still not perfect. It's at the point where the more I work them, the more goes wrong so I may just accept them as they are, i.e. better in real life than this brutal close-up.

17010801.jpg

The strike camera has been drilled and inserted into the nose. This is just a piece of plastic rod and the lens will be embellished later.

17010803.jpg

The resin hedgehog exhausts have been installed and the ends modified with scratch built details to replicate the cockpit heating piping.

17010804.jpg

Also done but no pics shown: scribed in glycol and hydraulic fluid filler caps, added decals to resemble tape over MG openings, drilled vents on bottom of engine nacelles, added external dinghy release pull handle, added small scoop in nose on right side. I'll point these out in pics at a later date.

Thanks for your continued interest everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks Karl.

BTW, the preshading in the final pic is only there as I had some black paint left over in my airbrush from the prop work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back