**** DONE: 1/48 Bell YP-59 Aircomet - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep!
Glad to see the "rubber" wheels replaced!
Absolutely! I replace the wheels with resin when ever I can. When the kit comes with vinyl there's no question about it.

Spent some time last night throwing a little more detail in the cockpit. I intend to keep it closed but the kit pit is even too sparse for that. Forgot to take some pictures so I'll post some tonight.

Cockpit improvement pictures as promised. Not too much as the canopy will be closed. I went ahead and started painting. Chromate green for the cockpit and chromate yellow for the wheel wells. The oxygen regulator and hose in the first shot weren't attached and will be added after painting.

P3059427.JPG
P3059429.JPG
P3059430.JPG
P3059432.JPG

Last edited:
Did a few hours work on the Aircomet tonight. Probably more detail than necessary with the closed canopy, but once you start it;s hard to stop.

Pic 1) Left cockpit wall. Scratch built ox regulator and hose, map case. and switched added to panel.
Pic 2) Right cockpit wall. Throttle handle made from stretched sprue, scratch built fuel tank valve and electrical panel with switches.
Pic 2) The control panel was very basic, just flat with recessed instrument and no detail at all. I painted it black then scratched the detail in with the tip of a # 11 knife then filled the dials with Future. Finished by etching and painting other details.
Pic 4) After I finished the front of the panel I realized the back would be visible through the windscreen and had no detail at all so, I made up instrument bodies from slices of sprue that I had drilled small holes in. The holes will be fitted with fine wire.
Pic 3 The seat. Pretty basic, I dressed it up a little with a file, indented the front where the control stick will be, painted and did a dark wash. It should look good enough after I make up the harness.

P3069437 P3069449.JPG
P3069437.JPG
P3069440.JPG
P3069443.JPG
P3069446.JPG

Last edited:
This scratch building is a bit like a virus, you think you have it out of your system, then up pops another bout. Great little additions Glenn.

Yea, once you start it's hard to stop. Did some more work tonight.

Picture 1) The wires attached to the back of the control panel
Picture 2) Wires bent, painted and the panel in place to see how it will look through the windscreen - a big tangle of wire - the look I was going for.
Picture 3) Lead packed in the nose. I read in a review that said the entire nose needs to be filled and then some to keep the nose down, but when I got to this point it felt pretty heave so I snapped the wings on and balanced it on the landing gear sockets and it was way nose heavy so I stopped there.
Picture 4) a last shot of the cockpit before I close everything up
Picture 5) Fuselage glued together.
Pictures 67) Problem with the wing dihedral - There is none. You can see from the b&w pic that there should be some although not much. I think I can shave off some of the top wing to get it right. Will try tomorrow.

P3079450.JPG
P3079451.JPG
P3079453.JPG
P3079454.JPG
P3079457.JPG
P3079459.JPG
p59-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back