**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109E-4 Kommandeur Hauptmann Hans von Hahn 1./JG3 Aug 1940 BoB GB

This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules


Master Sergeant
Cheers Guys!

Small update this week, but it's mainly been sanding and tidying up ready for paint, so here it is.

Pic 1
The Revi gun sight was painted and added to the cockpit, before attaching the forward cockpit enclosure. All the canopy was masked using Tamiya tape, sharp knife and a steady hand. Whew!

Pic 2
The armour plating was provided by Hasegawa on photoetch. I pre-painted it on the fret before attempting to add it to the hood. Still the process wasn't without hiccups....

Pic 3
The armour added. A casualty was the bottom attachment points. For some reason they just would not line up and play right. I ended up snipping them off and just used the upper mounts to attach to the hood. The bottom mounts would not be seen with the hood closed anyways.

Pic 4
Overall view. I have yet to added the elevator braces, prop, alighting gear and a few of the smaller details, but it's just about ready for the paint shop. All things considered it's a very good kit. No fit issues to speak of, no filler used other than some Mr Surfacer.

Okay, next update soon.




  • gunsight 001 - resized.jpg
    gunsight 001 - resized.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 67
  • armour 001 resized.jpg
    armour 001 resized.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 63
  • armour 002 resized.jpg
    armour 002 resized.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 68
  • overall 001 - resized.jpg
    overall 001 - resized.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 64


Master Sergeant
Thanks guys

This weeks update as follows:-

Pic 1
I first painted the canopy frame RLM02 so this will show through to the interior.

Pic 2
Before spraying the yellow nose and tail I like to first paint with white, as yellow can be very transparent. It can also take a couple of coats of the yellow to get the right density.

Pic 3
Here's the rudder done in white.

Pic 4
The yellow schnoz done. I haven't as yet attached the engine cover, so it may look a little off in this pic

Pic 5
The rudderl painted yellow RLM04 Gelb which is a Model Masters Paint.

Pic 6
Progress on the spinner. It should be 50/50 white and black with a green tip that matches the "Tatzelwurm" decal that Hasegawa supply. Tamiya green was a good match.

Pic 7
The yellow areas were then masked and the RLM02 was sprayed on the upper wings, elevators and fuselage.

Pic 8
Further masking for the RLM71 on the upper surfaces was done.

Pic 9
I then masked off the upper surfaces of the wings and applied the RLM65 to the lower surfaces.

Pic 10
Underside after spraying the RLM65.

Pic 11
I got a bit more overspray than I intended. I touched up the canopy with RLM71 and then got ready to do the splotching. Hopefully it's looking up to scratch.

Thanks for you comments and feedback is always welcome! :D

Have a good weekend




  • yellow tail 001 resized.jpg
    yellow tail 001 resized.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 79
  • yellow nose 001 resized.jpg
    yellow nose 001 resized.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 76
  • white tail 001 resized.jpg
    white tail 001 resized.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 73
  • white nose 001 resized.jpg
    white nose 001 resized.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 89
  • canopy frame 001 - resized.jpg
    canopy frame 001 - resized.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 86
  • spinner 002 - resized.jpg
    spinner 002 - resized.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 82
  • RLM02 001 resized.jpg
    RLM02 001 resized.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 86
  • RLM02 004 resized.jpg
    RLM02 004 resized.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 81
  • RLM65 001 resized.jpg
    RLM65 001 resized.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
  • RLM65 002 resized.jpg
    RLM65 002 resized.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
  • RLM65 003 resized.jpg
    RLM65 003 resized.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 79

Users who are viewing this thread