**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the info guys. So do you think I should throw some 02 into the mix or leave it alone?

Photos of original (2 provided to me by Wayne) are inconclusive. Maybe a quick search of photos of WNrs near this 13144 will show something. If not, I'll probably leave it be.

Glosscoated with Future:

Attachments

• 120430 1.jpg
    120430 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 120430 2.jpg
    120430 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 87
Thanks guys. Yes, decals are close. It's at this point that I always wonder if I can reduce the "blackness" of the decal crosses somehow. I feel that all manufacturers make them too black and that they therefore stand out too much on a model that would represent a plane that's been out in the sun for a while. Painting them myself is always an option I guess.

Thanks guys. Yes, decals are close. It's at this point that I always wonder if I can reduce the "blackness" of the decal crosses somehow. I feel that all manufacturers make them too black and that they therefore stand out too much on a model that would represent a plane that's been out in the sun for a while. Painting them myself is always an option I guess.

If you come up with a solution Andy I would be very much interested as I have to find a way of changing normal decals into low profile markings on my next build.

Thanks Vic, Jerry. Decided not to sweat it and went with decals as is. The first ICM decal I slid on completely disintegrated so I shot some gloss spray on those and went with some other left-over sets instead. National markings are on and the rest, including stencils, are yet to come. Pics later in the week as tomorrow is booked solid with other stuff.

Very kind Hugh.

The following pics show decal progress. The national insignia are a combination of Tamiya and Eagle Strike decals as the first application of an ICM cross resulted in complete disintegration of the otherwise nice looking decal. After spraying the entire ICM sheet with a decal preserving spray, they are now behaving nicely.

120503 1.jpg

In this close-up shot, you can see the delicate wing walk boundary lines, which are ICM and the JG52 crest, slighly out of register, which came with a Kagero book on JG52.

120503 2.jpg

Here's a close-up of the completed port side. The Chevron is Kagero and you can see a very slight out of register of the lower bar. The frame numbers are all ICM (the 3 broke up a bit).

120503 3.jpg

The tail section features a Tamiya swastika and Kagero victory marks and W.Nr, that latter of which is unfortunately incorrect. Steinhoff's rig was 13144, not 13744 but this is barely noticeable to the naked eye. It may, however, be a simple correction and I might just take the top of the 7.

120503 4.jpg

Thanks for looking in everyone. Tomorrow I will continue with the stenciling and panel lines.

Last edited:
Looks good Andy....me....I could not live with an incorrect W.Nr....knowing the correct one...but that's me....sometimes i do go over the top!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back