**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

She turned out great :D love the engine :)

Beautiful Andy!

To get the flat spot right on the wheels I put a full sheet of sand paper on a flat surface and set the model on it and gently (very gently) move it back and forth with a little downward pressure flattening the wheels.

Last edited:
Cheers Wayne. Did a bit of silvering repair last night and found out solv-a-set melts dullcoat if left on too long. Nothing major and easily fixed.

What, you mean it doesn't rain all the time over there? Incredible! It's so wet here, that a local company have published a new magazine, one of those 'In twenty weekly parts' things, Part One provides the keel for an Ark, with subsequent editions providing the parts to build the complete vessel ....

Cheers Wayne. Did a bit of silvering repair last night and found out solv-a-set melts dullcoat if left on too long. Nothing major and easily fixed.

Gotta watch out for any of them left on too long Andy...i usually apply with a fine brush and soak it up quickly with a tissue to reduce the problem, as you say easily fixed though...

My technique's been to dab some on the silvered part, then poke the area with the end of a sharp x-acto blade til the silver disappears. Working well now and should hopefully get these areas sorted tonight. Pics then.

Onwards....

I've now finished fixing the silvering and did a bit of gloss coating over these areas before applying some dullcoat again to finish. In the meantime, I did a bit of work on some fiddley bits.

Pitot tube made of Evergreen rod and stretched sprue:

120511 Pitot.jpg

The finished cowl with all fasteners opened and areas blackened with pastel, ready to be glued in the open position:

120511 Cowl.jpg

Before attaching the cowl, I wanted to replicate the catches for the cowl fasteners seen within the circles in the below pic:

2890396220036857008S600x600Q85.jpg

I made these of rod and folded paper....

120511 Fasteners 1.jpg

..then painted them 02 and CA-glued them into the engine bay.

120511 Fasteners.jpg

Getting close now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back