**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan. The coolant tank is the one in front of the engine bearer. I'm talking about the one that's within the bearer. This one only appears on the port side. See here with arrows:

Tanks.jpg

Anyhoo, I progressed the cockpit sidewalls today after having decided to use the parts from my Hasegawa G-6 which are surplus since I got a resin upgrade for that kit. To get these parts to fit, I had to make a few mods as described below. I thought that I had taken pictures earlier in my build that showed the existing ICM cockpit wall details and so I launched into thinning the walls before taking a picture. Unfortunately, I was mistaken so I can't show you what the wall looked like before I hacked away at it.

The first pic shows one of the Hasegawa parts next to the thinned fuselage wall. I carefully preserved the lip at the top of the cockpit wall as this forms the seat for the canopy. The dry-fitted cockpit/engine assembly was used to mark the walls where the Hasegawa piece would go. Note that I had to extend the wall piece with some built-up card to pick up what would have otherwise become a gap between the ICM floor and the Hasegawa wall. Odd that there would be so much of a difference but, oh well.

The second pic has the starboard wall glued in place with the lower extension cut to the right length and a filler piece added to close the gap where the instrument panel will go. Next step will be removal of some of the details that will be replaced by the PE bits and sanding the parts to blend in the extensions.

Thanks for continuing to follow this build.

Attachments

• 120313 1.jpg
    120313 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 120313 2.jpg
    120313 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thanks Evan. The coolant tank is the one in front of the engine bearer. I'm talking about the one that's within the bearer.

Ah, sorry mate. Can't say for certain what that is, just know it was connected by 2 hoses to the compressor, so may be a return/release air valve of some sort.

Good start on the cockpit too!

Thanks Evan. The coolant tank is the one in front of the engine bearer. I'm talking about the one that's within the bearer. This one only appears on the port side. See here with arrows:

195917.jpg

Das ist die Druckölbehälter Lieber Andy. What means it's a pressure vessel of the hydraulic installation for opening/retracting of the main landing gear, tail wheel and flaps.

Thanks guys. Wojtek, as special thanks for clearing up that little mystery!

The pit parts have been sanded, primed, and painted with a coat of RLM 66. Pics to come.

Now do not drop that engine Andy!It looks really good Sir ;)

Now do not drop that engine Andy!It looks really good Sir ;)

Thanks for reminding me, Kev! I was all set to drop it tomorrow but I'm so glad you told me not to! :lol:

There's been enough progress these last couple of days to enable me to get the fuselage halves together tonight, so without further ado:

The fuselage halves were painted RLM 66 and then received the Eduard colour PE details as well as a scratch built solder fuel line complete with sight glass.

120317 Pit Walls.jpg

Here's the PE instrument panel with lenses filled in with clear parts cement, which I find fills these holes a lot faster than Future and is just as transparent.

120317 IP.jpg

Here is the overall engine/cockpit cemented into the starboard side. This required a lot of trial fitting and sequential gluing so that parts could be clamped without prying other fresh areas apart.

120317 oa.jpg

The trim wheel in this close-up was made up of the kit wheel on the inner side whereas the outer wheel is a piece of wire bent around a brush handle. This was necessary because the kit represented the outer trim wheel by simply molding it into the pit wall and it looked pretty bad. Also seen in this pic is the oxygen hose which was added since the first picture. This was made of guitar string.

120317 Pit 1.jpg

A view from behind shows the instrument panel, which fit perfectly, despite being made for the Hasegawa kit, and the excellent Eduard rudder pedals.

120317 Pit 2.jpg

That's all for now. As I siad, the fuselgae halves are now together so it's on to the wings next. Thanks again for following this build and for your support.

Sweet Andy and you know something about messing around with the O2 setup makes the pit come alive.I made scratch an O2 assembly for a 1/24 kit(much easier that scale) that really added a dimension to the pit.Really looking the part and 1/48 at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back