**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for continuing to follow this somewhat slow build everyone. I've now entered the phase of the build that tends to slow me down as it's my least favourite part and that's filling seams and sanding/polishing. The below pics show the model assembled with a test coat shot on the seams and areas that needed a bit of filling pained over with Tamiya primer. The latter will be sanded away, hopefully leaving just the portions that fill the seam gaps.

I also filled some rather noticeable sink marks near the back edge of the wings.

More soon. Question, I had painted the inside of the engine cowl interior green but read somewhere that these might have been light grey. Anyone know for sure?

According to some notes I have from William reece on Corsairs, F4U-1A Zinc Chromate yellow, F4U-1D Interior green.

That's the source I'm using Wayne and hence my conclusion for the YZC. Thanks for checking and thanks to all for your comments.

Well today I settled in to some quiet time with a good program on the radio and found that my mind was well-prepared for some super-detailing so I decided to tackle some small details on the engine cowl and cooling flaps. Detail pictures that I have reveal some very visible ribs that connect the cylinder heads to the forward cowl and a rather nifty system of rollers and cables that operated the cowl flaps. I decided to replicate these with rod and card and here's what I came up with so far. I had originally painted the cowl area with left over interior green and this will be redone in YZC per the above discussion.

In the pic above the cables for the cowl flaps have yet to be added. I'll do that with some thinly stretched sprue once everything has set. The parts in the photo have just been glued so are still a bit soft. Below is a closeup of the ribs and how they attach to the rocker covers. The cowl is loosely fitted for the photo.

Another needed modification is to fill in the step in the flap that was not present on this particular model of the Corsair. This was simply done with card, putty, and primer.

That's it for today. I'll post some more pics after the cow is complete. Thanks for looking in.

Users who are viewing this thread