**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair IV - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The decals I have are similar to the pictures Vic posted and the picture in my signature. It seems the size of numbers were all over the place, as yes, the pictures I posted do seem smaller, however there are these photos which show aircraft with larger numbers as well. Also something to note is sometimes the size of the dot in the roundel could vary.

Corsair_KD244_135X_1842sqdn_HMSFormidable_1945.jpg

RHG31.jpg

Thanks for that gem Cory, I happen to have a new cowling as well as the 4 blade prop specifically for the -7 on the way, so maybe the cowling will correct this difference. I can always live in hope!

I also picked up from the web loads of pics on varying engines and some drawings last night, should come in handy when the time comes. Here is the sight, check it out.

Index of /users/SDAM/Corsair

Not the best pictures Vic, but in case anyone else also wants to know exactly what I'm talking about, these demonstrate it well. I've used a -4 (which had the same basic fuselage as a -1) and a -5. The -7 was a re-engined AU-1, which was an uparmoured -5. They actually took the engines off of -4s in storage to make -7s.

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sent you an e-mail Cory.

Another thing you'll need to worry about is squaring off the wing tips. Tamiya were not so nice about this and you'll need to do some cutting and reshaping if you want to depict Hammy's machine accurately.

Thanks Andy, replied and appreciated. Here's the photo I mentioned, from the Vintage Wings site.

RHG10.jpg

"A dramatic photograph from the forward deck of HMS Formidable shows her crew dealing with the chaos of the Kamikaze strike. Forward of the island, stands a Corsair that might be Corsair 115 safe from the fires and destruction on the after deck. If this is No. 115, it would still not be the airframe flown by Gray as that aircraft (KD658 ) was delivered from baby flattop HMS Arbiter the next month. Perhaps this one was lost or damaged after the date of the Kamikaze strike and before delivery of KD658 or received a new number later. RN photo"

The problem is, nowhere does it actually say what month that photo was taken. I was able to track down the aircraft to this site: US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos--Third Series (70188 to 80258) and KD 655 (BuNo 76233) crashed into sea after takeoff from HMS Arbiter Jul 20, 1945. Pilot rescued. So it appears as though that photo was taken in June, 1945. So Andy, if the photo you sent me is taken presumably after July 20, it is the right aircraft.

As for the wings, I've always clipped the in the past but never done any shaping as I didn't really know how to tackle it.

Thanks again Cory, it reminded me that I have the World Aircraft Information set issued about 10 years ago and there are all the variants profile drawings in this. I'll have to take a closer look later.

Not getting how you are making the above aircraft to be KD655 Cory. Might be my head cold.

It was poorly explained. 655 came over to the Formidable at the same time as 658, so that's the only way I could figure out 658's delivery date. That picture isn't 655, I have no idea what plane it is.

No worries Vic!

You're right Cory. I went through 15 F4U books and found nothing that you don't all ready have. Lots of reference material if you want but I think you've got that covered.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back