**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair IV - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is a strange number 5.
And..... the inside corners are squared up, the outside are radiused, except for the chamfer at the corner up the back.
Some creative painters there.

Found one!

corsair2gloryphp_zps00a5e0df.jpg

So while looking for my missing PE and resin (which I found), I came across these. Are these ok for a Navy aircraft? I know FAA Corsairs used them but I know nothing of gunsights.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

I'm also thinking of stealing a resin engine from my Royal Class Hellcat set. Looks like it will fit.

My there are a lot of things to think about when building a F4U, never realised thy churned out so many versions. Interesting and it has certainly made me look into my future conversion build for an F4U-7 from a -1D, I needed more than just a canopy!

When the time comes Cory, you'll be the man of the moment and I'll come'aknocking. I've already got a cockpit, wing fold, engine, exhaust stack and canopy for the -7 on order and have my eye on a couple of other bits. By the time I have everything gathered I recon there will be enough for a second build.

b0227.gif

If the aircraft had the 'twist grip' throttle lever, with the button on the end, and large 'hand guard' disc, as shown in the pics of the FAA Museum example you posted elsewhere, then it would have the MkII GCGS (gyro) sight. These started to come into service with the RAF in Europe by late summer 1943, although not sure when the FAA got them for Corsairs. It's possible the Museum's example is a later, possibly post-war, aircraft, by which time virtually all fighters in British service had the gyro sight.
That resin sight in your pics is the correct type, but see if you can check period photos first, to see if the sight is visible. It's larger, more rectangular, and bulkier than the earlier MkIII reflector sight, and easily recognised, especially by the adjustment knob on the port side, and the curved crash pad over the wing span setting switch on the front (pilot's side).
Sorry I can't be definite, but I don't know enough about RN or any other naval aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back