**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,
One more time and to add confusion, I need opinion about the camo-scheme... I read and I saw in the Andy's building and the discussion regarding the camo. Andy made his camo on the wings with RLM82/83 and let the MG cover in in NMF. Effectively, I think the we can see a lighter color on these surface. But, I don't understand NMF on the nose armament cover... I think it must be handicapping with the sun. Why not RLM76 or RLM02 on this part ?
Most of source indicate a RLM76 color on the wings with RLM83 or 81 or 75 also. But I think the contrast is very light between the two colors, maybe RLM74/75 or RLM76/75 or RLM82/83 or RLM75/83 also ?
Damn, I don't know how to do...
One thing: I think I'll do undersurfaces in W2 scheme (heuuu, I think...)
:(:rolleyes::banghead:

Late war Luftwaffe camo colors is a bit of a mess so I really have no firm advice. The natural metal on the wing gun covers and nose gun covers seems to be supported by photographs of White 11. You DO have some choices to make, that's for sure!

Here is an enlarged shot of the kite. The pic wasn't taken on a sunny day but the MG covering seems to be lighter than the other surfaces painted with the RLM76. But the colour could have been applied there too. The RLM02 would be more darker because it wasn't the grey colour actually. Also I attached the pic with the Gamma correction used that reveals the black cross on the wing undersides without the white outline I would say. In addition the colour of undersides looks like there would be one paint shade used. It may indicate the entire wing bottom was of the RLM76 without the silver area as it is suggested by a couple of references. But it is my opinion only.

Fw-190D9-13JG51White11WNr-213097-Flensburg-1945.jpg

Fw-190D9-13JG51White11WNr-213097-Flensburg-1945_.jpg

You're probably right about MG cover Wojtek, but, on your photo it seems that the underside of the aileron is lighter.
I think this scheme for the wings of "white 11" is interesting
07.jpg

RLM74/75 or probably RLM75/83?

Last edited:
As far as the colour of the ailerons is concerned... The difference in the shade could be caused by its covering that was the fabric one coated with the RLM76 paint or just the light trick. Please note that the flap seems to be of the same, light tinge.

Last edited:
The Primary sources for the scheme and colours for my build were the JaPo publication on the Dora as well as Jerry Crandall's 2 volumes on the subject. The former reference contains several pics of White 11 showing what are believed to be bare aluminum gun cowls on the starboard wing and nose. The photos also show similarity in tone between the colours on the wings, indicating that a scheme with a large tonal difference such as 76/75 and 75/83 would be unlikely. The 74/75 scheme had by the time of this production block been abandoned in favour of the new greens, though older colours were potentially still being used up by the factories and could have appeared on these aircraft in various combinations.

Rather than stir up the debate again, there is a long discussion on the colours for White 11 in the first 2 to 3 pages of my build with great insights from Steve (Stona) and Wayne. Nothing is conclusive, something that, as John pointed out, you will need to get used to with late LW schemes but, in the end, I'm happy with my choice of the 82/83 scheme.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced of the use of the 76 in this case, there should be a distinct difference between the 83? and 76 but the tonal difference or contrast in one of the pics is minimal indicating to me at least that the 2 colours are close ie. 83/82, also the pic was not taken on a sunny day it appears overcast this does help in the fact that any glare or refection etc. can be ruled out in manipulating the appearance of the colours.
Note the cowl area where we know for a fact that the cowling was 83/76, note the distinct tonal difference of the 2 colours, this is not the same as the wing area!

The greens give consistency to middle and later Focke Wulf produced D series right through to the D-11 which also has 83/82 low contrast wings.

I tend to agree with that, not enough contrast between the two colors... I think my D-9 will be something like that...
Marquardt H.-Fw190D9.jpg
Capturer.JPG

I would say that the RLM02 on the flap interior is more likeley than the RLM04 on the bottom engine cowling. The enlarged shot with the Gamma correction used shows that the darker tinge of the colour on the engine cowling is just the effect of being in shadow.

Last edited:
I also agree with Wojtek's assessment of RLM76 along the lower cowl underneath the exhausts, especially comparing it to the lower fuselage near the tail. The flap interior is interesting. Although it could be the just an effect caused by shadows, I'm tempted to use this as a justification to paint the flap interior RLM02 but the raised structure in natural metal... might be an interesting effect.

Sorry but I don't understand very well your reply... English language is not my mother language and sometimes I don't understand the sense.
I agree with flap interior RLM02 (like I noticed on the 2nd photo, but I would like to know your opinion about the color on the lower engine cowling: RLM04 or a sort of grey (maybe RLM02 why not ?). Not sure it's RLM76, if it's RLM76 with a shadow effect, why this effect is not visible on the engine crown (on the nose, where there is the arrowhead on the photo 1 in post #51)?
:anguished: :confused22:

If you look at the shadow of the plane on the ground you will notice that the sunlight came from the above and front direction. Because of the shape and being more above the ground , the radiator cowling is more brighter than the bottom part that is hidden in the shadow, I would say.

fw-190d9-13jg51white11.jpg

Additionally.. I would say that the closest camo scheme of the fuselage to the one in the pic above might be the profile ...

Fw-190D9-13.JG51-(W11+~)-Heinz-Marquardt-WNr-213097-Flensburg-1945-0B.jpg

BTW ... here is the image of the fin of the W.Nr.213097 I found via the net...

WNr 213097.jpg

I too believe the effect on the cowl to be due to shadow. The cowl under the engine is cylindrical whereas the cowl around the radiator is spherical, hence the shadow differences. Note also the yellow lettering below. I believe the lower engine cowl to be RLM 76.

images.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back