**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good work on the paintwork Steph.
I've been looking at the photo showing the flaps deployed, and although I'm not certain, there's a possibility that the inner surfaces are in bare metal, the same as the frames. The tones are similar and, being ion shadow, and flat, 'shine' as seen on the frames would not be seen.
Thoughts ?

Thanks gents,
Terry, I agree with your comment, I think it would be something like that for the inner flaps.
white11.JPG

Here is an enlarged shot of the flap area... also still having a doubt about the NMF for the wing root MG bulged hatch.

white11a.JPG

Hi Wojtek I had already noticed that. For me, only the bulged part is NMF (or RLM76 or RLM77 or 05 or 84 ?).
I painted nose armament cover in bare aluminium but I'm still not convinced cause the sun glare.
I wonder if it could be a RLM77 (RLM05/84?) varnish
RLM77 => FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 36493
RLM84 ? => FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Color FS 34554
It seems that these colors were varnish. We can read sometimes on the web that RLM84 was not official but was a color used by Focke Wulf at the end of the conflict as a protection varnish to replace RLM05 but it can be also a RLM76 variation...

Last edited:
I would say that the bulged part of the MG hatch was of the camo colour. It is very possible the colour was just applied on the bare metal without any primer. However it seems to be a glare of the sunlight at the bulged surfaces caused by the semi-matt texture of the paint , for instance.
As far as the top cowling of the fuselage MG compartment is concerned.. I would say it might be of the NMF but the matt appearance of it could have been a result of the matt aluminium texture caused by the oxidization of the metal and the weather influence.

Back to the falp interior.... I think Terry might be right as well. However the shot above shows that there is the lack of the metal glare at the bottom area of the interior that is close to the flap bottom edge. It should be noticed if there would be the NMF. The FW 190 metal flap consisted of two parts - the top stiffener frame that was cut , stamped and shaped. And the bottom one that was just a flat plate riveted to the top one. It is very likely that the plate was protected with a primer or another kind of anticorrosive for instance what was very easy to apply on one side only . So ... any colour is possible as well. The top part of the flap might have stayed without a such protection because of the working way. That's my opinion.

My take on the flaps is that they are entirely bare metal. The flaps are not flat but tapered and the surfaces that appear painted are in fact at a different angle than the frames on the foreground, These are the inner surfaces of the sheet metal that follows the contour of the underside of the wing. It would make no sense to paint these surfaces before assembling them to a bare meal frame

As for not seeing bare metal in the wing roots, this aircarft had very heavy exhaust staining as can be seen by the partly obliterated numerals so the wing root would have a good dose of carbon that would take the sheen off bare metal and make it look darker.

Last edited:
Crossed posted with you Wojtek but my thoughts are still the same. Keep in mind that German paints used on metal were a single coat system and did not use primers.

It's OK. No problemo.

Regarding the primer.. at the end of the war it might be omitted that's true. But Germans could have used any paint they had for a such purpose as well.

Again the flap interior... I can agree with you but to a certain extent only. But if it would be as you stated, the matal shining of the metal would be seen , at least; at these yellow marked areas regardless of the angle there. But these areas stay without the glare and that may indicate the different finish of the surface. All the more, all parts of a flap could be made by different manufactures and then put together by the next one. Each of them could have used a different procedure for making parts.

white11b.jpg

white11b1.jpg

Yes, the more I look at it, the more I think the flap inner surface is the same as the frame - bare metal.
BTW, my description of 'flat' meant a flat sheet, as opposed to stamped or formed, which, of course is fixed to the tapered, pressed frame. The 'flat' surface, angled and in the shade, is not 'capturing' the light as the frame is, but the tonal values are very similar, hence my thought that this part of the flap is also bare metal.
As for the top cowl panel and the wing root gun breech covers, I'm undecided - they could be 'weathered' bare metal, or they could be finished in a light-coloured primer.
I'm tempted to go for the latter, but close examination of the upper cowl, over the guns, reveals the flush rivets, immediately in front of the windscreen frame, which would suggest bare alloy. Also, the dirt and what appear to be hand / palm prints around the latches, also suggest bare metal, due to the way the dirt is 'spread' and its 'thin' appearance, more the type of staining one would see on dull, bare alloy panels, compared to the more 'ingrained' appearance that would be seen on a coated surface.
So with that in mind, I would agree with Andy, and suggest that both of these areas are oxidised, dirty, bare metal. Unless, of course, anodized alloy was used, as they certainly have the appearance of the dull grey, anodized alloy, which looks like the weathered, dull aluminium we're used to seeing on, for example, museum exhibits left in the open for many years.

Here is a Fw 190 flap seen these days... the difference between painted and unpainted parts can be seen. Although the light is fine the metal glare of the unpainted flap stringer can be seen quite well.

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6032BW.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Finally, here is my interpretation. On the photos the RLM82 looks like soviet AMT-4 or RLM02, don't know why...
DSCN2557.JPG
DSCN2560.JPG

At the end, I'll drybrush the top cowl panel with darker aluminium color. I decided only the rear fuselage extension is RLM81 and a variation of RLM76

Looking good Steph! The 82 DOES look alot like 02 from my monitor. What paint did you use for 82? My rendition was a noticeably brighter more intense green.

I never trust computer monitors to judge colour. 82 is a very bright green as John says.

Looks good Steph. I made my wing gun covers fully NMF into the wing roots as these were one piece units. Makes no sense to me that they would have only painted half of the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back