**** DONE: 1/48 Grumman OA-9 Goose - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like Boats saw the trouble with the tail too but corrected it somewhat differently that my plan.

Did some work on the wing tonight. The upper wing part had a pretty good warp to it (pic 1). I tried hot water but that didn't do very much. The upper surface of the Goose's wing is perfectly straight so I came up with the method in pics 23, taping a ruler to the upper surface as I glued on the lower wing parts. I'll be leaving it like this until tomorrow when with my fingers crossed I take off the ruler and see if it holds straight.

P6120942.JPG
P6120944.JPG
P6120945.JPG

Last edited:
That's an idea George. I'd have to reconfigure the tape on the warped side though because some of the tape is right where I'll need the heat. Maybe I'll start to take the tape off and if the wing starts moving I'll put it back on further out and try the hair dryer.

Just a note.
I found when heating sprue to stretch and flatten, for my little Mustang the plastic got a bit work hardened.
A test of the heating would be in order for shrinkage and additional warping.

Just sayin.

Looks like the splint worked!. When I fitted the Fuselage to the wings I found that I needed a couple of spreaders for the upper cockpit. Also installed the seats with harnesses made from wine bottle foil. That will be the extent of the cockpit detailing as it is hardly visible through the windows.
A test fit of the wings and it's starting to look like a goose :)

P6120946.JPG
P6120948.JPG
P6120949.JPG

Last edited:
as I like the plane and how lindberg hate is the same as with Mach2 has planes that I like but the worst brans so complicated market that are made to fit.

this great what you wear done so far

I closed off the tail where the rudder was cut away using a plastic tab that held a bread wrapper closed. This plastic was thicker than the plastic sheets I had on hand at took to the Testors tube glue quite well. Looks like I found an endless source of plastic for small scratch-building I added the wind screen, put on the wings, then added the upper fuselage piece behind the wings. The only reason I can see that this piece was made separately is that it was maybe the hatch to get to the motor or batteries that were a part of this kit when it first came out in the 50's. There will be a lot of filling, filing and sanding ahead as soon as the glue has a chance to cure.

P6140950.JPG
P6140951.JPG
P6140952.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back