**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hope you can sort it out George. I've never used Tamiya flat so can't say for sure, but I've had white splotches appear in a Future gloss coat caused by decal setting solution. When this happens I clean it up with a Windex soaked Q-tip and re-coat with Future, then Testors Dull Coat

I've always used Tamiya and never saw anything like this before. As I said, the Future has had over a week to set and a flat coat was applied before I left for camp. Anyhoo, here's what it looks like as of now...

001.JPG
002.JPG

...as you can see I've done some touch up on the port roundel and the green has been covered up after the photo was taken. The blue paint on the roundel is as close of match as I have out of the bottle. If I get this nightmare touched up and completed, I'll work at getting a closer match by mixing. If not, we'll put it down to weathering and lose some judging points.

Geo

that looks very similar to what happened with my MS406. I never really did nail down what went wrong, and i found resprays just saw the mark bleed through .

i am no expert in this, but I suspected in the finish that there was some impurity in the paint, perhaps water in the air or the brush possibly even too much thinner in the paint.

I hope you can do better than i did geo

another suggestion (i hope Im not annoying you), might be to make a scratch decal......if you have decal paper and a roundel image. then its just a case of re-doing that section of the wing, but might need to sand all the way back if you get bleed through problems.

My heart really goes out for you on this one geo, you deserve a better rap than this

Roundels are 46mm in diameter Andy. Second coat of blue has covered about 70% of the white and I'm going out further with each pass so as not to build up paint in one area. If this works, I can carefully go around the entire roundel. The port roundel is about 8ft. away from the starboard one so the slight mismatch won't be noticeable(might be a slight exaggeration in distance there). No worries Michael, advice and ideas are always appreciated. Printers down right now, ink thang, and the small computer store is out.

Geo

Have just checked out my roundels Geo and found a couple of blue/red at 46mm, there yours if you want to make good the roundel problem. I know were an ocean apart and the GB is supposedly closing Sunday, but a couple of others, namely Wayne and Bill are looking for more time and I'm sure others would not mind a little more extra being granted. So how about it shall I get them in the post Monday.

Thank you for the kind offer Andy and Vic but at this stage I'm not going to worry about it. As you can see in the photo the blue was close however, you can also notice that due to the combination of Future nad the a flat coat that even the camo colors have taken on a different hue. I'm just going to finish it off and if time allows, rough up the camo on the wings.

001.JPG

Geo

All right, carrying on. MGs are setting up with their armor plates, more paint on the wings and I've drilled holes for the wing antennae. Thanks to another thread, I will now be confident in attaching antennae to the tail. Not perfect, but I just want this to end...

002.JPG

...more touch up paint, clear parts, done.

Geo

Thanks Kevin. All right, carried on to a grinding halt, MGs will not fit with the waist window blisters closed. Of course there is no way of knowing this until it's attempted. There are enough photos showing that the guns weren't visible when airborne so good enough. On the plus side, engines and cowling are glued on and setting.

Geo

Well Andy, it continues. After the MGs and about 3 hours from finishing this, I said, "Is that the best you can do God?" Never challenge God...

002.JPG

...fortunately, I have a backup, 2mm wider, but at this stage of the game...

003.JPG

Geo

EDIT: I found the correct width fin flash and have just clear coated the remaining decals. Odd about the fin flash as the large wing roundels, serial number and the large "P" were moved around quite vigorously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back