**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you for the comments. Mr. Wint, this is by far my most ambitious scratch building project. Had I noticed all the aerials that had to be made and located before I started the build, I doubt I would have started it as I am not very comfortable with the measuring, thinking process. When push comes to shove, I contract out. Anyhoo...here is the prototype for the larger antennae. Just letting the glue dry and then trim to fit, the aft leg being longer and at an angle to the antenna.

002.JPG

Geo

Thanks gents. Wayne, just need to add the final bits. My hold back is they are painted white and for whatever reason, it's not covering worth a damn, five coats in some cases. Probably two to three days left, maybe less.

Geo

I have been remiss in looking in here on this awesome build. I am in awe of what I see and It is with great delight I feel I should go back to playing with toy airplanes and leave the kits to the big boys. But I won't cause I love them to much but this is great work really great.

Thanks kindly gents. I stayed away from the forum for the most part yesterday and it payed off...the last, (what I feared would be the most complicated yet turned out almost dead simple), parts were glued on and will now be painted..groan..white. Let that set up, do the clear parts and the small decals and we should have finished by tomorrow night or early Saturn's Day. Many thanks to the judges for the time granted.

002.JPG

I can't wait to get this leviathan off the bench as I can't swing a dead cat by the tail without touching this thing.

Geo

Last edited:
Disaster...putting the final touches on and noticed I had missed a few spots when I applied Tamiya Flat over the gloss coat on the large wing roundels last Sunday. Now there are white splotches over the applied areas. I have no idea what caused this as I haven't touched it in over a week. I'll give it a few hours and see what can be done. The port roundel looks like it lost blue coloring. If I can't fix it, I guess I'll have to call it salt deposits from the sea.

Geo

That could be fixable Geo. Try dabbing a bit of Future on the white stuff and see if it disappears. If so, spray some on and allow to fully dry. I now use a Model Master acrylic flat coat as I have not been impressed with the Tamiya stuff,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back