**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane MkIIc - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Progress since Friday:

Wheel wells painted aluminum and retraction jacks added. The were made of partly stripped copper wire.

14121402.jpg

The "roof" of the wheel well is made of built up card, aluminum tape and plastic rod based on a plan view in a reference I have. The two tear drop shaped things on the square panels are locks for the landing gear. Pins attached to the wheel bubs slotted into these locks, inside which latches engaged with the pin on the hub. The cutouts are for small perspex windows that enabled the pilot to see from his seat that the wheel had retracted. The recess at the front is for the pneumatic tank for the brake lines.

14121403.jpg

The jacks received coiled hydraulic tubing made of lead wire and two reinforcing struts were added that run from the center of the spar to the pointed bit of sheet metal to prevent it from flapping around. more aluminum paint was then applied.

14121404.jpg

The pneumatic tank is made of plastic rod with the ends glued shut. The heads on the tank were shaped by inserting the tank into the chuck of an electric drill clamped to my work bench and then filed and sanded as the drill turned. Two nozzles made of rod were then added to the ends.

14121405.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks Terry but I'm well stocked on that front. I may need to pick your brains on some details though as they come up. Not sure if you are able to confirm but having studied the very poor quality picture of this aircraft in post 9, I've concluded that the exhaust stubs are the fish tail type.

Thanks very much guys. Lots to show you today as I've been off all week and had time to spend on this project.

The wheel well roof got a coat of aluminum paint and the canvass covers for the hydraulic lines at the front were painted brown. The aluminum didn't come out that great since I spent zero time on surface prep but, this being a wheel well, it's not going to be that clean anyway when I'm done with it. The black fuel line was also added, and the little windows were filled in with Testors Clear Parts Cement which did a nice job.

14121501.jpg

14121502.jpg

I have not yet shown you the rear wall of the wheel well. I thinned the plastic around the openings to make this look a little more realistic and added some struts and inspection panels to the rear walls. Also, the Hurricane carried two starter cranks, one in each wheel well and you can see one of them on the outboard wall.

14121503.jpg

Now came time to glue the wheel well roof to the walls and install the wing. As it turned out, my measurements resulted in a bit of a tight squeeze and I had to thin the wing upper halves a bit. Even so, I had to start by gluing the back of the wing first and clamping it overnight. Note how the front springs up a bit.

14121504.jpg

While the glue was curing, I turned my attention to the radiator. The Hobbycraft kit is OK from a distance but, up close, the lack of detail is apparent. The kit came with a very basic forward grille molded into the housing and a PE part for the back of the rad. The problem is that the circular oil cooler is actually supposed to be recessed in the front and sticking out the back so modifications were in order.

14121505.jpg

I did not show all the steps to get us to the views below but I simply drilled out the cooler on the front grille and made my own by scoring a piece of plastic card and adding a piece of tape for the center frame. Stretched sprue pieces were added to form the 4 vertical baffles. The back was not quite as straight forward. I tried punching out the oil cooler grille which was about 80% successful as I bent the PE and broke a piece out which, fortunately, is near the bottom edge and not easily seen. Won't do that again! Then I glued a piece of plastic tube to the punched out hole and glued the punched grille to the top of the tube. After installing these parts in the housing and gluing the housing to the wing, the various actuator rods and braces were added to the louvre which I cut and bent open earlier.

14121801.jpg

14121802.jpg

Back to the wheel well. The air bottle had received a coat of paint and a stencil decal and the word "AIR" which I penciled in on the heads. I then glued the bottle into the recess and added the support straps which are made of aluminum foil tape. After the bottle was in, I added the coolant hose and its pipe clamps, also made of foil tape. Lead wire air lines come out of each end of the bottle. In addition, two more struts were added and, finally, support forks for the oleos with brown-painted wooden blocks were cut from card and glued in to round out the assembly.

14121803.jpg

14121804.jpg

14121805.jpg

Next it was on to the elevators. Again, a lot of missing detail here and I decided to deflect these downward to add some interest to the model. On the left is the modified elevator and, on the right, the piece as originally supplied. I had to file flat the trailing edge and scribe on the trim tabs which were a big miss on the kit

14121806.jpg

Also added were rudder cables which were completely omitted from the kit. You can also see that I drilled out the fairing at the elevator and added a connector rod between the elevators

14121807.jpg

So as of now, I've glued on the elevators which are now curing. Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow and post more pics as I will be going out of town on Saturday and will not be working on the model til I get back on the 30th. Thanks for your interest guys.

Last edited:
Nice work on the wheel bay Andy. Don't know if these will be of any help - this is Duxford's MkIIB, posing as a Mk1.

Attachments

• Czech 139.jpg
    Czech 139.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Czech 140.jpg
    Czech 140.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Czech 141.jpg
    Czech 141.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 82
Thanks chaps. Terry, those are indeed useful. It seems that the MkII's did away with the small fixed tab outboard of the elevator trim tab so I'll need to cut those off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back