**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys about to hit it again some tonight I think.

Very nice work Kevin. Those seat belts look great.

Alittle bit of a pain Glenn but I like them better than the PE methinks atleast they lay down and look more natural then my PE attempts have been.;) Cheers Fellas

Just to let you Guys know I have not been sleeping on ya.I have got alot of the main parts glued together but boy is there some sanding to be done.:rolleyes: The area around the booms and wing being the worst and I thought for sure I had enough BB's in the nose and she barely tips back arrrghh......

Attachments

• GB38 13 016 (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 016 (800 x 600).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 75
  • GB38 13 017 (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 017 (800 x 600).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 72
Looking good Kevin. You might be able to add a little more weight by drilling a hole under where the superchargers go and dropping superglue coated split-shot in wile you hold the model nose down (that is if the wheel well doesn't interfere). I did this with an AR243 once when I forgot the nose weight altogether and it worked fine.

That's an idea Glenn. I am hoping that once the propellars are added things might go my way.It seemed to start tilting back once I added the outside tailplanes to the booms.

You may be right. The nice thing about that way of adding weight is that as long as you leave the superchargers off till last, you can still add weight right up to the end.

Looking good Kevin. You might be able to add a little more weight by drilling a hole under where the superchargers go and dropping superglue coated split-shot in wile you hold the model nose down (that is if the wheel well doesn't interfere). I did this with an AR243 once when I forgot the nose weight altogether and it worked fine.

I did the same thing with the Rufe, drilled a hole in the float and added super-glue coated BB's. The only problem is, then you have a hole to fill and sand. The P-38 looks really good.

Charles

Looking good Kevin, and nice to see that the tail booms appear to be correctly aligned - the biggest problem with most P-38 kits. For future reference, when adding nose weights, always add as much as can be stuffed in, using Plasticine to hold it in place (this also adds extra weight). Then, do a 'finger tip test' - balance the model, with the wing tips resting on the outstretched tips of your index fingers. If it tips back, more weight is needed - if it nose dives, it's fine; if it rocks, more weight is needed. Works most of the time.

Looks like a P-38 to me! With everyone else on the weight thing.
How come nobody has clutter all over their desks?
How do you find anything if it isn't spread out in front of you?

Looking good Kevin, and nice to see that the tail booms appear to be correctly aligned - the biggest problem with most P-38 kits. For future reference, when adding nose weights, always add as much as can be stuffed in, using Plasticine to hold it in place (this also adds extra weight). Then, do a 'finger tip test' - balance the model, with the wing tips resting on the outstretched tips of your index fingers. If it tips back, more weight is needed - if it nose dives, it's fine; if it rocks, more weight is needed. Works most of the time.

Kinda did that Terry just no booms on at the time but all went well till the the outboard stabilzers were added.The 38 sits abit nose high like the 39 take the wheel off she sits right put it on a tip.

If you're close, can you get a few beads of shot inside the nose wheel if it comes in halves? Also the prop spinners can be filled.

The propellars Andy have enough room for one BB I think?

Looks like a P-38 to me! With everyone else on the weight thing.
How come nobody has clutter all over their desks?
How do you find anything if it isn't spread out in front of you?

Don't worry the real desk is a cluster right now this is my woodworking station nothing going on right now even though the wife is ready for me to build a utility cabinet for her bathroom.I am doing my old 78 Pooprolet stepside some now getting the spare bed ready for painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back