**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yea it's OK looking at it this morning :dontknow: but it's all part of the learning curve.I have been this morning playing with panels and boy it suttle but again just OK maybe it all comes together at the end.

Subtle is good IMHO. Often too overdone.
Yes. This is the number one problem with the foil method. It is all or nothing.
Kevin, that finish looks sweet, The polishing really paid off!
If the anti-glare panels aren't done first, it can cause problems with the masking lifting the silver paint. Try painters low tack blue tape and stick it to your hand first a couple of times before applying it to the plane, then get it off as soon as possible after painting.

Also, painting 'solid' colours over the top of metallics, can cause migration of some of the metallic particles into the new paint, giving a speckled effect.

Nice finnish Kevin looking to see more..

Yes. This is the number one problem with the foil method. It is all or nothing.
Kevin, that finish looks sweet, The polishing really paid off!
If the anti-glare panels aren't done first, it can cause problems with the masking lifting the silver paint. Try painters low tack blue tape and stick it to your hand first a couple of times before applying it to the plane, then get it off as soon as possible after painting.

This stuff really sticks hence there primer and silver really bond well.I have been taping off for the panels with no issues at all using green painters tape.Andy I think you are right on the variation I tint some and sprayed on the bottom of tailplane it was to much.I appreciate the comments guys still not quite what I want but the next one I will get there.

Got about two hours into the girl tonight and couple the other day.The recommended clear is on called low sheen and it was not totally dry when the pics were taken.All the anti-glare panels are decals and should be able to get some decals applied come Sunday.She is not looking to bad but judging buy the pics I should of payed more attention to the undersides :dontknow: Cheers

Attachments

• GB38 13 027_edited (800 x 665).jpg
    GB38 13 027_edited (800 x 665).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 90
  • GB38 13 028_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 028_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 100
  • GB38 13 029_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 029_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 103
Looking very sharp Kevin!:thumbleft: With all here sir. I see nothing wrong with what you have there paint wise. Even it it is a little thin on the underside in places, that is not a bad thing. To me it ads a weathered look which I tend to like. Just a opinion.:)

Looks like the real deal to me unless you're going for that highly polished "Do not touch the aircraft" modern warbird airshow look. It'll look great with the decals on.

Looking very sharp Kevin!:thumbleft: With all here sir. I see nothing wrong with what you have there paint wise. Even it it is a little thin on the underside in places, that is not a bad thing. To me it ads a weathered look which I tend to like. Just a opinion.:)

Thanks Aaron had not quite thought of it that way.

Looks like the real deal to me unless you're going for that highly polished "Do not touch the aircraft" modern warbird airshow look. It'll look great with the decals on.

Andy the decals are helping ;)I think if everything goes right on this one it ends up at the Joe's LHS for display with the D9 coming home.I do have to p/u some of the Skyblue H48 or Fs52200 out at Joe's place tomorrow along with some stars and bars for the PTO region mine are to yellowed.

Attachments

• GB38 13 030_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 030_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 64
  • GB38 13 031_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 031_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 63
  • GB38 13 032_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 032_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I agree, don't rag on yourself too much. What you got there is a mighty fine result. It's gonna look great amongst the entries. Well done.

Thanks Bill shes growing on me.This is the first P38 for me in about 10yrs and the only one in the stash in this scale I have one other the Revell 1/32 Droop Snoop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back