**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D-25 "Coffey's Pot" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay some more updates on the build.

Got the wings together, re-scribed some panel lines and add a bit of detailing to the fuselage.

Here are the wings.
I glued them together and dry-fitted this section to the fuselage which revealed that the left wing root and wing joint were mis-matched, the wing root sat much higher than the wing. This was due to the mis alignment of the top wing tab and bottom wing tab. I created a shim to fix this which brought the top wing up higher and even with the wing root. The white stuff you see in the panel lines is Tamiya finishing polish. I used this stuff to polish the plastic in some areas as the kit had a lot of scratches on it.

_MG_2205a700.JPG

_MG_2208a700.JPG

_MG_2209a700.JPG

I also added a panel line and a line of (druze) rivets along the top of engine panel.

_MG_2215a700b.JPG

I thinned the intercooler doors as well and added some circular rings to the horizontal stabs using my punch and die set. I noticed these in a few pictures of P47D's and decided to add them.

_MG_2214a700.JPG

_MG_2212a700.JPG

Thanks a bunch folks.

I worked on mounting the fuselage to the wings then priming up the P-47D-25 this weekend and re-scribing the panel lines. I focused on prepping the surface by getting rid any visible, bumps, scratches, faults, etc. Not much to show as its just primer but just a couple of progress shots showing the starboard, gun camera side.The cowling of course is just dry fitted.

_MG_2223afull700.JPG

_MG_2226a700.JPG

_MG_2225a700.JPG

Thanks a bunch boys and Andy I am looking forward to getting them magnetos.

However, I have a question for all you guys.

I am at the moment torn on whether to rivet this baby up or leave her as is.
I have a set of positive rivets from HGW which are essentially decaled rivets for the P-47D bubble top. I think the kit would look great with the rivets on natural metal but here's the issue. As many of you know P-47's had flush mounted rivets. The set I have would actually be slightly raised. So, not actually accurate for this a/c.

The question is do I go with accuracy and leave her the way she is? I have the riveting tools but I don't want to go to such a massive exercise as to use the tool to do the riveting.

Or

Do I go for a riveted looking natural metal P-47 for the look? and try something new for a change. I have never used the HGW sets before.

Tell me what ya think.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go without adding rivets, as the decal version can often look 'over the top' on certain models. If the aircraft was weathered and dirty, then some rivets might show, due to dirt streaks in the direction of airflow, and these can be added with a sharp pencil, looking effective, but subtle.

Thanks the suggestions guys. If anyone else would like to throw their 2 cents in by all means.

Now, I have another question.

I am trying to get a handle on the connections for the belly tank for COffey's Pot and though I have some pretty good references and have used the net, I still don't have a solid understanding of how these drop tanks were fitted under the bulged belly of the P47. My best reference shows a different tank on the centerline but pehaps the connections were the same? If anyone has some close up shots or really good drawing of how these things were fitted please post.

Here's what I am talking about.

75 Gallon tank.

Pictures courtesy of prime portal.

p-47d_226413_22_of_40.jpg

p-47d_226413_26_of_40.jpg

108 gallon tank I wish to use on the centreline.

And Little Friends

tank.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back