**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D-25 "Coffey's Pot" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those pics are about as good as you can get Dave. the only other thing I can offer is Terry's excellent detail pic of the Duxford P-47 and the fuel connection diagram from the manual.

D Day DX Fuji 068.jpg
Drop Tank Connections.png

Back with an update with some minor work I did this past weekend.

I began work on the drop tank by adding some alum foil (The wrapper stuff from a wine bottle) and doing some sculpting of the lines on the drop tank. For this I used a round blade to get the effect you see in the picture I posted above. I also added some lead wire for the fuel line and for what I would imagine is the air line. still a bit more work to do here but let me know what you think. I used one of the drop tanks from my Tamiya kit.

I also added the anti sway connections but I chopped off the ends with the round flat discs as I am making my own out of punched discs using my Waldron P&D set, some .5mm plastic rod (the part of the brace just above the flat round plate) and some .3mm brass rod that will go above the .5mm plastic rod which are the adjusting rods. Sorry if I am not using the right terms here. The ones in the kit can't be used because they are all the same length and I will need to have the braces at different lengths so to that all four touch the tank with the round base plate. You can get an idea of what I am talking about by looking at the picture I and Andy posted of the 75 gallon metal tank.

Thirdly, I was looking over the instructions and could see where its says to add the landing light on the bottom port wing near the tip of the wing but what about the big gaping hole behind the landing gear bay? Turns out the instructions refer to P-47D's of the -28 block and higher whilst those blocks below the D28's had the landing light positioned behind the landing gear bay. I did some searching on line and found out that Hasegawa includes a blanking disc to cover up the appropriate hole. This information they left out in their instructions. Luckily, I found the blanking disk on one of the sprues and added it to the hole near the wing tip as Coffey's pot had the landing light by the gear bay as it is a -D25 block. See pics below of what I am talking about.

_MG_2231a700.JPG

_MG_2232a700a.JPG

_MG_2234a600.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Andy. No I don't think I have them yet. There is a package at the post office but I think its paints that I recently ordered. If you put them in an envelope they should be in our box but Nothing as of yesterday.

Thanks All.

Worked on the engine this weekend and got the landing gear bays painted.
The engine was some tedious work. I painted the engine with Alclad Duraluminum and the frewall Alclad Dull Aluminum. The reduction gear housing is suppose to be painted a dark blueish grey (not light grey you see on some restorations) so I mixed up my own colour for this and sprayed that on. I still have not seen the turtle back magnetos Andy sent me so having purchased a tamiya P-47D bubbletop a week ago I looked through the sprues and there was a set of these magnetos in the kit. I didn't really want to pull them but my desire to build up the engine took precedence so off the sprues they came. I first hacked off the kit magnetos that don't look like any I have ever seen before on a P/W 2800 engine then I added the Tamiya magentos to the magnetos housing which I then slid into the reduction gear housing. I used .3mm lead wire and as you can see some that go to the back of the cylinders are kind of free floating in terms of their termination but this area won't be seen once the cowling in on so I not too worried about that. After getting everything connected up I gave it a wash of black oil paint non-thinned and let it sit for a while then used my oil thinner to wash the paint off. I then gave the reduction gear and magnetos a dry brush and touched up the ignition wires. Hasegawa included a Pratt and Whitney logo to go on the engine so I still need to add that and do some final touch up on the reduction gear bolts but she's more or less done.

i also masked off the landing gear bay and painted this area as well.

003a450.JPG

002a500.JPG

005a450.JPG

013a700.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back