**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Razorback - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a lot guys. I haven't done much on it in the last week. I kind of got side-tracked on the full sized one in the basement. I hope to get back on it next week

I've trying to get this one started again after quite a long break. I had made up the seat belts using the kits decal applied to wine bottle foil and then cut out, but didn't like the results at all. Sort of looked like cartoon seat belts. I decided to make some up from scratch, but didn't feel like messing with it just then, but finally managed to get it done tonight. Belts are made up out of the same wine foil, but this tine I painted them myself and scratched in the buckles. I'm much happier with the result, and now only have the gunsite to work on before I can start assembling the cockpit tub.

P3158154.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. I've always hated Tamiya's decal belts as they're nowhere up to the standard of the rest of their kit quality. Wish they'd start taking notice of some of their competitors who include PE belts as part of their kits.

Good stuff Glenn. I've always hated Tamiya's decal belts as they're nowhere up to the standard of the rest of their kit quality. Wish they'd start taking notice of some of their competitors who include PE belts as part of their kits.
I have to agree; untill I got the P-51, I haven't had a tamyia kit in years, and I was disapointed in the pit detail.
Scratching a harness is one of my least favorite jobs, but you seem to have it nailed.
Could you describe the way you made those buckles?

I started by cutting strips from the foil wrapper of a wine bottle. This foil was black on one side, I painted the strips either light grey or tan then when dry lightly scraped off the paint in the areas of the buckles reveling the black underneath. I then scraped the black off reveling the silver metal underneath for the buckles using the tip of a hobby knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back