**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK a new stage in my life. Any advise on Alclads? I piced up the gloss black primer and these different aluminums . masked the dope and nose and a little scared.

20160414_193322.jpg
20160414_193330.jpg
20160414_193342.jpg
20160414_193350.jpg

Just look for any imperfections at this point Don.The gloss black base gives you a brighter silver whilst just the opposite with primer black flat.I have often wondered the effect of using a med/dark gray on some panels?Alclad is very resistant to lifting with painters tape.

Looking good so far Don.
I haven't used Alclad, but as Kevin noted, ensure all seams and joints are perfect, as all 'metal' finishes show up the slightest imperfection. Now's the time to correct anything which you feel needs improving, as once the 'silver' goes on, it'll be too late.
Just spray as normal, and build-up the finish, rather than trying to 'flood' the area in one go, and you should be fine.
Looking forward to seeing the effect.

Before you put the Alclad on the Mustang, I would recommend that you shoot a test piece of plastic of the shades that you are intending to use. I haven't used Aluminum before but if its similar to White Aluminum and Dark Aluminum, it will be much different than the Polished Aluminum and Airframe Aluminum that you have. Those latter two are very "chromey" and may not be the right choice for the aluminum paint found on the Mustang's wings. White Aluminum and Dark Aluminum have a bit of grain and if Aluminum is similar, it might make a better choice for those aluminum paint areas. Like the others have mentioned, metallic finishes such as Alclad are merciless when it comes to revealing even the slightest imperfections on the model surface.

Personally, for the wings, I wouldn't use Alclad - but use it on the other areas, certainly.
The Mustang's wings were painted, so to achieve the contrast between the appearance of 'bare metal' and paint on the model, it might be better to use a straight silver paint for the wings.
One method I've used in the past, is to mix a very small amount of gloss white with the silver paint, which gives the effect of 'full size' silver paint, as opposed to the almost bare metal look of model paint. The 'very small amount' should be the equivalent to the tip of a paint brush added to the silver, and mixed in well, but of course, experiment on some scrap surface to achieve the desired finish - this can be done with a brush, before mixing for spraying. Too much white will give a slightly pearlescent 'metallic white' effect, which can be corrected by the addition of more silver.
This is also a very good way of simulating doped silver fabric, for example on control surfaces, by varying the amount of white added to the silver. Note the use of gloss white - using matt white will give a dull metal effect, as seen on, for example, undercarriage legs.

Well, thanks all, I jumped in the river. First looks can be deceiving. Lets see how it goes. Terry, thanks I did not use the Alclad on the wings. I painted then Aluminum Dope (Testors Enamel) first and masked off as discussed previously. I did not see your note until now and did not due the white. Alclad uses a gloss black primer coat and they have about 6 or 8 different aluminum color/shades. I used "airframe aluminum" for this.As it dries it gets shinner .

20160420_211957.jpg
20160420_212023.jpg
20160420_212029.jpg
20160420_212045.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back