**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: Fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Extras: Superscale Decals, I'll see what else I can stuff in the cockpit and wheel-wells. P.E. seat belts.

My subject is from the 45th FS/15th FG based on Iwo Jima, 1945. Still trying to find a pilot who flew this aircraft and will add him if located.

005.JPG

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. In case it hasn't been noticed, I've moved myself into the Advanced category. I know I'm not in the same class as the greats, but if I don't push myself, I won't get better. Anyhoo....nothing to show yet. As mentioned in a previous thread, I have decided to do the clear parts first from now on so they have been tended to. Found out this aircraft was built in Inglewood so it has a standard hood which was loose off the sprue and the attachment point will show a bit even though I tried to get rid of it. Here are some photos of the aircraft...

gb.jpg

gb213 p-51d-20-na.JPG

The decal instructions show an antenna underneath the aircraft in front of the wings as shown by the lead aircraft but I can't see one in the close-up. I couldn't find the serial number at this site Joe Baugher's Home Page as I was curious to when it was built because I know how and when it met it's demise, March 10 '45. The big puff of smoke in the background is my aircraft after being rammed by the aircraft that is resting on the wing.....

gb211.JPG

gb215.jpg
gb214.jpg
gb216.JPG

gb217.JPG

Before I get set in, I know the wing spar in the wheel well is the yellowy green primer and just read an article by Dana Bell that said the rest was Aluminum Lacquer. Any other colors I can throw in there?

EDIT: Found this in "Detail and Scale Vol.51, Pt.2 ", conflicting...

Capture.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Somewhere on this forum, Terry posted about the wheel wells and I thought it mentioned the two primers and aluminum. Anyhoo...time to start building. Taped up the gluing locations prior to adding the interior colors and adding seat braces....

003.JPG
005.JPG

More later.

Geo

Thanks you Gerry. Not going to get anything done for the next couple of days as SWMBO has decided that I want to spend the weekend in Prince George and do some shopping. That one sentence contains the three things I hate; shopping, Prince George and the 2 hour drive to P.G. On the plus side, I'm outta flat aluminum.

Geo

Weird Karl. I have one book as well as the decal sheet saying only on the top. Many profiles show top and bottom. Finally some progress, added some wiring to the rear deck. From what I have read the wooden floor was covered by rubber coating so I tried to show some wear through, don't know if this is correct but it breaks up the Tamiya rubber. It doesn't show up very well, but I washed the radiator with Citadel Agrax Earthshade. It'll buried in the fuselage anyhow.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back