**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. The microscopic eyes are mostly 2X reading glasses aided by a round fluorescent lamp/magnifying lens combo. In my post in the Recent Purchases thread I said I would show the five shades of silver I purchased for this build. Total pain in the keester to get the right angle to show the differences. Shown from left to right; Chrome Silver(debating about using this one), Titanium Silver, Flat Aluminum, Runefang Steel and Ironbreaker...

006.JPG

008.JPG

Geo

Hoping so Vic, but I won't go nuts on this first attempt. With regards to the radiator inlet and outlet: inlet interior silver and outlet interior looks mostly chromate greenish/yellow, yellowish/green and silver...

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Geo

Thanks Terry, wasn't aware of the tips. So...the only lines on the top side would be the gun and ammo hatches. I've never seen the bottom panel lines mentioned so I leave them as is. What I have manged to gather about the wheel well colors is chromate yellow for the wing spare and chromate green for everything else.

Geo

While waiting for stuff to dry I was looking for reference photos and noticed something in many of the starboard photos(so few starboard photos). Not sure if it's waste oil or not but the hole is not on the model.
Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG

On some it appears in front of the panel line and others behind.

011.JPG

Found this and it shows the hole behind the panel line...

Capture7.JPG

Geo

EDIT: sorry for the mess, it lined up better in the preview.

Well spotted Geo and interesting. Looking at a couple of cutaway drawings, it could well be the hand crank starter which I believe is quite close to the carburettor and being a hole in the fuselage so close to the engine, it's bound to be an outlet for any oil leaks in that vicinity.

Yep, your black 'X' is the right place.
Wheel wells were clear lacquered bare metal, as were the inner faces of the doors and gear leg covers, with the rear 'wall' (main spar) in ZC.

Thanks guys. Anyone know how best to replicate lacquered aluminum? I was thinking flat aluminum coated with semi-gloss clear. Anyhoo...before I attack the wing panel line, is this correct?
002.JPG

Waiting for the seat belts to dry and attach and then I can join this to the fuselage then close it up. Due to the attachment method of joining the seat to the armor back, I choose to make the belts instead of using PE. Just me being too lazy to dig out the Dremel and grind away. Need to attack the dials as well.

005.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Looking good George. To be honest, I think I'd just leave the panel lines, and give two or three good coats of silver, perhaps with just a tiny touch of gloss white added, to differentiate from the remainder of the airframe.
Wheel wells and door inner surfaces should look fine the way you propose, or even just a shade of silver.

Thanks gentlemen and the easy way every time Terry. Painting extra coats with a brush is never a problem. The seat is in and I just have to check some photos before I join the fuselage together.

002.JPG

Here's something I'm throwing out to those who know. These raised lumps that I've circled on the upper wing. It's on both wings, upper and lower in the same location. I've never noticed them before in photos or in other model builds. Some pondering is required here.......

005.JPG

Well, that's it for me, time to pack. Have a good rest of your week gentlemen and if the internet in camp behaves, I'll pop in occasionally.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back