**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Possibly to include engine details in another version of that kit? Increase the number of pieces? looking really nice

Thanks for popping in guys. Not sure of that Mr. Wint. I have another Tamiya version in the pile and no engine. It's just a royal pain in the keester. Started gluing the bottom of the fuselage together and working on detail parts. Hard to tell in the photo but the top cover has been washed with Citadel Agrax Earthshade. I love these washes. The first coat leaves just a trace of color and then you can heavy it up with additional coats.

004.JPG

Geo

Before I get out the mud, of which very little is needed, (¼" ahead of the cockpit and 1" on the bottom) is there a seam on the spine ahead of the tail? I have found one set of plans that says yes and one that says no.

1.JPG

Once this is sorted out, I'll attach the wings and elevators. Tamiyas method of attaching the wings is to glue the one piece lower wings first and the glue to two upper pieces next. I've never done it this way before but the test fit of the bottom is very good.

Geo

Some good scale drawings I have do not show a seam there Geo. The skin at that point drapes over the top of the fuselage and ends in panel seams part way down the right and left sides of the fuselage. There is however, a double row of rivets along the top centerline where you show the line but I'm sure you're not worried about that unless you're riveting the whole plane.

Thanks Andy, panel line will be smitten. As I said, love 'em Wayne, Next time I go to P.G., I'll check out the entire Citadel paint rack, looking for Citadel Technical-Liquid Green Stuff, a liquid putty. Anyhoo...the lower wing section is attached and a quick check shows that the starboard wing root will have a small gap. Thankfully the rivet detail is on one side only and that can be taped off.

002.JPG

Added a sixth shade of silver to the inner wing test area. My jar of Tamiya Flat Aluminum was almost empty so I added Titanium Silver and Chrome Silver to it. I shall name it Flataniome Silver.

Geo

Here is the problem area and a comparison with the port side. Not sure if I need to add dihedral to fix it as the glue is still drying. Ignore the mismatch on the rear of the starboard wing as I have only glue the leading edge so far. Elevators should be on shortly and then a minor putty session and wash up to round out the day.

004.JPG
005.JPG

Geo

I hear ya Vic and thanks Jerry. I was a little concerned that I may have over cooked the dihedral but I think it looks OK...

001.JPG
Capture.jpg

Going to let it dry over night and work on the fiddley bits.

Geo

Last edited:
Many thanks. Waiting for paint to dry so I painted the wheels and didn't like the way they looked so I've started to remove plastic. I'll use a diamond embedded rat-tail file for the final work.

001.JPG

Geo

Thanks Wojtek. Got the two primary colors; my own Flataniome Silver on the fuselage and Flat Aluminum on the wings. I'll let it dry and then hit it with the other four shades of silver.

002.JPG

Silver is a real mofo to photograph, the contrast between the shades is better in real time.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back