**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D " TUSKEGEE AIRMEN "- Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

happy0034.gif

Okay guys dont laugh to hard but this is my first Tamiya kit and it is a great kit i have the 1/32 P-51 which i wont be starting on for awhile but this 1/48 is great. now for the undercarriage bays do you think zinc chromate or interior green any thoughts would be great.

Here are some shots of the wheel wells on Quik Silver Jerry. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5677 resized 25.jpg
    IMG_5677 resized 25.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5676 resized 25.jpg
    IMG_5676 resized 25.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 85
Be cautious of restored aircraft. The wartime spec for the wheel bays was a zinc chromate rear wall, which is the main spar, with the rest in clear laquered aluminium, including the gear leg and main doors. Although most period photos show this, and the info comes from the finishing specifications, it's possible that some might have been painted during deep servicing.
The gear legs were coated in a finish which included powdered aluminium, giving them a silver-grey look, with the axle yoke in dull, grey metal.

thanks guys, well got some work done this kit goes together real well cockpit got installed befor getting pictures but here is what its looking like.

002-13.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-4.jpg

wheelbays are really nice
001-13.jpg

Thanks guys for the nice comments. Okay iam ready for paint the instructions call out for AS-12 which is tamiya aresal i really havent sprayed any metallics through the airbrush any good suggeston would be helpful thanks.

001-14.jpg

002-14.jpg

003-12.jpg

Thin the paint to the consistancy of milk, three coats are better than two, and massive amounts of thinner blown through the brush after. When you think it's clean, start again.

Coming along nicely Jerry. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer on the NMF paint. I'll be looking for tips myself as I have not done a serious one in years. I'd like to try some of the metallizing paints myself.

Nice going Jerry and go thin on the metallic spray with plenty of cleaning after. I use white spirit first and then a good flush with Windex followed with plenty of water before a final clean with white spirit. I also end up with a bucket full of discarded Q tips and tissues used in drying and polishing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back