**** DONE: 1/48 P-51H Mustang - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The P-51H had three colored recognition lights on the underside of the left wing tip (pic 1).
The model depicted these as only engraved circles (sorry, didn't take a before pic). In pic 2 I've shallowly drilled out the lights and notched out the wing tip navigation light, painted it and glued on a piece of clear sprue.
In pic 3 I've painted the recognition light recesses, filled them with thick CA glue and sanded and polished them flush. I've also shaped and polished the navigation light.

1_Winter08_029.jpg
P3161308.JPG
P3161309.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Glenn. Got a bit confused when you mentioned left wing tip - depending where you're standing, it would normally be the right wing tip. Good reason for using 'Port' and 'Starboard' !

Nice work Glenn. Got a bit confused when you mentioned left wing tip - depending where you're standing, it would normally be the right wing tip. Good reason for using 'Port' and 'Starboard' !
My mistake Terry. It is the right wingtip

Nice job on the lights. How long did you wait before sanding? I've read if you wait too long, the glue turns bullet proof, harder than the surrounding plastic
Geo
Your right about not waiting too long to sand it George. I applied CA accelerator and filed and sanded immediately. I use this method for almost all my seam filling. If you file it down right away the CA is softer that the surrounding plastic so it's easy to file and sand it down to the original level. When painted the texture is the same as the plastic unlike putties, and although not as easy to scribe as plastic, it's much better than putty. It's been years since I've even used putty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back