**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lots of fools gold in the rivers and streams of Northern California. Rivers are also clogged with sand from the gold rush hydraulic mining! Shame, that Feather River could be a good fishing river near Yuba City if it wasn;t clogged up. Never know where the holes are, sand is always moving.

Thanks gents. Just glued up the horizontal stabilizer halves and when they are dry and attached I'll start masking. Once again Revell has decided to add grief to the build...

002.JPG
005.JPG

...note the different dates, a year apart.?

Geo

Agree with wurger, nasty, but not really a big problem. if it were me, would just be carful not to lose those nice panel lines around it. you dont need that advice, thats me thinking aloud geo

No problem Michael. Why Revell insist on doing this is beyond me. If it can be done on the outside of a mold, it can be done on the inside. Do the seriously think someone is going to leave this advertising on?

Geo

Odd the two different dates on the lower left and right stab halves. Anyhoo...the fuselage has been masked off, a wee bit of mud has been applied to the wings and as I wait for that to dry, I go into debation as to whether I want the wing-tip floats retracted or not as this will be "flying" ceiling hanger.

Geo

Thanks Glenn. Because it's so big, I have nothing to cover it while the paint dries and there was a bit of fluff landed on it, thankfully on the parts that will get camo. Speaking of which, would the color the big yellow pointy arrow be black? The decal instructions call for the top of the fuselage to be all white. Most of the photos I've seen have it camo and the big red pointy arrow looks like it's pointing at something. Thoughts?

9754.JPG

I've decided to have the floats down for no other reason than there is a really crappy fit while dry fitting.

Geo

EDIT: Just found a photo of another aircraft from this squadron the the fuselage was all white behind the wings.

Last edited:
Geo, looked at a lot of PBY pics and I see nothing in any other pic. Best guess an insignia
She is looking very nice

Your red arrow is pointing to what looks like a type 'A' roundel blue. white and red centre, though seemingly in its smallest version. If you're ceiling hanging George, I'd be inclined to have the wing floats up, less dust collection as for the colour on the float, its half and half, that should correspond with the upper wing colour and the under wing colour, if you get my drift.

Not sure about that George, could be shading from the angle taken or wear but feel its not a colour change. As for the float on second looks again it could be shadow particularly if you look at the underside of the hull from the nose wheel bay back, the shade goes darker which indicates the reflection from the tarmac has influenced the colour, then again, the float base could also be black or a deep grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back