**** DONE: 1/48 RAF B-25J Mitchell - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy
Tomorrow I will have my P-61 finished. I will get started on this one. This will be my first group build I hope I am on the right page with a group build we all pull the same ore together. I selected a Revell Ex monograme B-25J Mitchell in the paint schedule of the RAF. This will be my first Mitchell in RAF color sachedule. On the fuselage I taped it together and check for fit and any other problems that might arise but I,ll make it work.

Boats

User name - Boats
catagory skill level 1
Entry B-25J In the RAF 1944
Kit Monogram/Revell
Accessories none kit modification only

Attachments

• PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 817
  • PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited by a moderator:
nice to have you aboard Boats.
you need to edit your first post with the below info so the judges can do there stuff when its all done.
User Name: rochie
Name:
Category:
Kit:
Scale:
Accessories:

hope that helps

Karl

Cool one Boats, your set for an interesting build.

Like Karl says though, can you please modify your entry introduction detail in the order as below, then we know at a glance who you are, what category you've selected and what your doing.

User Name:
Name:
Category:
Kit:
Scale:
Accessories:

Good one Boats! I was going to do a RAF Mitchell III (B 25J) for this build, but have too much on the go at the moment.
It's still quite a nice kit, despite its age, and should make into a nice model. Looking forward to your progress.

Ahoy Fellas
Thank you very much for welcomeing me here I love to do this RAF Mitchell, As for the paint schedule I have to do some research, Scince the J model is the last version North american built, Not certain ief they remained Olive drap with nuetral gray undersides along with invasion stripes I have seen some mitchels that were painter dark earth over dark Green either sky or light gray undersides with black and white invasion strips . Maybe one you great fellas out there can suggest a good color schedule for this Mitchell. I am going to have a ball with this kit and its great we all can be together on this thanks Fellas.

Boats

Attachments

• 1319657991-55368200.jpg
    1319657991-55368200.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 812
Ahoy
Here are the first Pictures of my RAF Mitchell, useing interier dark green instead of zinc chromate green the later mitchells used the interier dark green for all treated interier details. Letting the green dry for 8 hours I went ahead and gave the fuselage interier a wash of flat black letting this dry Next step useing aluminum I dry brushed the raised surfaces to give relief to the detail and another wash of dark green letting this dry now.

Next step was the cockpit pilots compartment. it recieved thec same treatment as the fuslelage interier. the dial consol was sprayed flat black when dry the dash panel was dry brushed with silver when dry again the dial faces were picked out i added seat belts and the buckles . Letting this dry next step i will attach the fuselage halfs together. One thing for certain its a pitty all that work and detail wont be seen, but there is an answer to this you know its all there. Like the real machine you cant see the interier unless you walk aboard. Here are the update pictures of the day more tomorrow.

Boats

One more picture the last one didn,t load up. I got it this time. Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 196
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 286
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 216
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 838
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 225
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 829
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
With all here Boats. Glad to see you joined. And a nice choice of course. :thumbright:

BTW. I have edited a little bit the title of t he thread as well.

Good stuff so far Boats. You are on the right track for the interior colours - the main colour was bronze green, with fittings such as seat frames, turret baskets etc in Interior Green. Quilted padding was fitted to the nose compartment and cockpit walls, which was a pale greenish grey in colour.
The pic of the built and painted model you posted is the Mitchell II (B-25C/D), and is in Olive Green (or Dark green) with a Neutral Gray underside. The Mitchell III (B-25J) first went to 98 Squadron in September 1944, with 180 sqn getting them in October, by which time both units were at Melsbroek, Belgium. The other four squadrons started receiving Mitchell IIIs in early 1945, and still operated the Mitchell II up to this time, with a mix of MkII and MkIII versions being flown.
By this date, the 'new' Mitchell IIIs were delivered without 'Invasion stripes' mainly, and only carried the red code letters, the roundels and black serial numbers as before. Colour scheme as above.
Examples of codes and serials :- 98 Sqn, code VO-J, serial No. HD371. 180 Sqn, code EV-T, serial No. KJ705.

Good stuff so far Boats. You are on the right track for the interior colours - the main colour was bronze green, with fittings such as seat frames, turret baskets etc in Interior Green. Quilted padding was fitted to the nose compartment and cockpit walls, which was a pale greenish grey in colour.
The pic of the built and painted model you posted is the Mitchell II (B-25C/D), and is in Olive Green (or Dark green) with a Neutral Gray underside. The Mitchell III (B-25J) first went to 98 Squadron in September 1944, with 180 sqn getting them in October, by which time both units were at Melsbroek, Belgium. The other four squadrons started receiving Mitchell IIIs in early 1945, and still operated the Mitchell II up to this time, with a mix of MkII and MkIII versions being flown.
By this date, the 'new' Mitchell IIIs were delivered without 'Invasion stripes' mainly, and only carried the red code letters, the roundels and black serial numbers as before. Colour scheme as above.
Examples of codes and serials :- 98 Sqn, code VO-J, serial No. HD371. 180 Sqn, code EV-T, serial No. KJ705.

Ahoy Terry
thanks Terry I sent you a PM.

Boats

Ahoy Fellas
Ok the build still continues I completed the main fuselage sub assembly and the tail feathers are installed The bombadiers compartmnent is being constructed and detailed out, Next on the fuselage I added some filler putty to fill in the seams letting this dry 24 hours before i wet sand the structure down. the build will slow down now on the wings i am dropping the landing flaps by cutting and removeing them from the wing, there is some plastic surgury involved on the flaps thier progress will be posted in the comeing build. Here is the update i should have a couple more later this evening.

Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 135
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 151
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 140
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 156
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 147
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 148
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 154
Good stuff Boats (PM replied to). When you come to do the nose compartment, note that only the single, centrally mounted .50 cal browning was carried by RAF Mitchells. Also, the 'cheek' gun packs were not fitted, although some aircraft were delivered with them in place. These were removed, and the attachment points showed as darker areas of paint, where they were re-painted in RAF Dark Green.
Some pics to follow, as promised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back