B-25J Russain Air Force - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are the decals. I am making White 17

DBII

183494.jpg

Looking good but of long standing. I would suggest applying of a clear dope on the decal sheet before using of these markings.

BTW. A good job so far. Keep working.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have to get to work on those seams. I hate them. I learned how to get rid of them on my second build.

DBII

These seams aren't a problem if the two halves are put toghether carefully. Of course the dry fitting is the very important part of assembling process. It is not only for checking whether two parts can abut. But also it's for assessment and choosing of a proper way to avoid the additional work on these seams.

Misc info on the B25s

The Russians used C,D,H and J models. They were not used much for close air support. The A20 was better for that. They were used for long range strikes against airfield and supply points and movement routes including bridges and rail heads. From what I read, the B25 were used for night bombing. It was common the put a fuel cell in the bomb bay and mount small bombs on the wing. Lots of straffing. After testing, the H models went to the navy. The army did not like to cannon. Several models were also used for anti shipping and armed with a torpedo.

Many of the C models had cannons installed in the tail. D models were modified in Kanas City, the waist guns were added. There was no standard arming of the plane. Some had a single MG in the nose, a flexible and one or two fixed forward firing. Some had two or four gun packs added to the nose. The Russian replaced the bomb winches with the own heavy duty models and would use bombs from the US, Russia and Germany.

The Russian used 5 man crews instead of 6. The navigator was moved into the nose and also released the bombs. The Russinas crew loved the plane because it was big, the heaters worked and it was modern.

At first the Russian fuel would eat through the fuel cells and American fuel had to be shipped in 55 gallon cans to the airfields.

DBII

Just something I do for the seam problem.
I have a very fine file. 9" long and I will file the whole object flat, like the little bombs. This ensures the whole surface to be joined will be FLAT. You only need take off enough to take the sheen of the molded surface off, just the high points. Try something you don't intend to use. See how it goes. On a 72nd scale kit I do the same to the fuselage, wings, the whole bit. I even file off the locating pins. You would have to be a little more attentive in the gluing process tho.

I would suggest getting a 5 dollar kit, and give it a go, just try some things you wouldn't do now. A little outside the box. You learn more by what Won't work than by what does......

Thanks for the help. We learn by our mistakes and I have learned much :). I have can a spray can of seam be gone, so I will not have to sorry about it.

DBII

Humm B-25 in odd colors, maybe these will help. Thread caught my attention. To bad Im leaving for my parents tommorrow as I think I have more pictures somewhere.

HPIM0727.JPG
HPIM0858.JPG
HPIM0857.JPG
HPIM0802.JPG
HPIM0801.JPG
HPIM0732.JPG
HPIM0731.JPG
HPIM0730.JPG
HPIM0729.JPG
HPIM0728.JPG
HPIM0859.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread