**** DONE: 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Bill. I painted it Aircraft Gray before I saw your post. Didn't assemble anything yet so repainting won't be hard but I don't have any Dark Gull Gray on hand. Might have some Light Gull Grey I can add a little black to though.

Have no idea where, or when I found that chart. I usually just Save everything I may find useful. It all boils down to what makes one happy to use. It'll look good whichever you choose.

Bill

Here's some comparison pictures for Terry between some of the parts of the Heller RF-84F and the Revell/Monogram F-84F. I would say the Revell/Monogram is the clear winner. The cockpits weren't even close. If I wasn't leaving it closed up on this build I would have to do a lot of work there to make it presentable. It also looks like the rear fuselage of the Heller is somewhat thick. When I was looking at reviews before I started I came across one where a guy grafted the Heller nose onto the Revell/Monogram fuselage and now I know why.

The last picture shows the cockpit parts painted Aircraft Gray. I've decided to leave them this color. After the dark wach I don't think the small difference between that and Gull Gray will me noticeable.

P3169477.JPG
P3169479.JPG
P3169480.JPG
P3189481.JPG

Last edited:
Wow Glen, two different airplanes........ wise choice for the build kit. Sometimes I guess Revell is a surprise

Vic, that was it for the chart, post WW2 to present may cover it unless we can find another reference. I'll look thru my pdf's, but I think this was the most definitive.

Thanks very much for that Glenn - very useful 'visuals'. As it's the 'F' I want to do, eventually, and I've been able to source a Revell kt, then that's the one I'll go for.

The scribing continues.....slowly, little bit at a time so I keep my sanity. Have also been working on the cockpit putting on the decals and detail painting. Doesn't look half bad with the kit decals on and a little color added by dabbing here and there with a toothpick. Still have to do the wash and some ware with silver, but I think it will be more that good enough with a closed canopy.

P3199485.JPG

Last edited:
I agree Glenn, it'll look more than acceptable through a closed canopy. Maybe use 'faded' yellow zinc chromate primer for signs of wear? Probably more authentic, and will probably show better through the canopy.

Finished up the cockpit with the exception of the harness which I will add later.

P3209486.JPG
P3209488.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back